• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "HousePriceCrash.cuk - IT is doomed"

Collapse

• expat
    replied
    Post 378 on p26:

the other day an IT manager said to me my biggest threat was from people on working visas. He asked an agent how many CV's he had for a particular job and the agent said dozens then he asked how many of those were from people on working visa's and the agent said about 95%. I'm not sure how many were non EU. I think a lot (India). But who cares? Non Eu or Eu it's more competition for you and me.
    To the agents on here: does that fit with your experience?

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Have you ever tried sticking the chad back into the holes in the card to correct an error?
    Nah - I studied computer science not Engineering

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Loved it Zeity, well done.

I actually agreed with some of the points raised.

I was doing quite a bit of C coding over Christmas on my plan B, and really settled back into it. Carving out chunks of memory using malloc, chucking pointers around, deallocating memory. All good stuff.

I always thought object oriented and framework languages were ahead of the curve in terms of hardware. Now that multicore CPUs are the norm it's not a problem. Sometimes it's just nice to produce something that runs, without all the baggage.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    Anyone who is in the industry now that used punched cards has 20+ years experience of embracing new technologies. And what we learned in that time is that most of them are fads and fashions and not new either.

<cough> licence costs <cough> Anyway, MS Access is a toy. (I argued, "Why use Oracle when I could do the same in ISAM for free?" but nobody listened to me.)

I don't understand that. That has been the opposite of my experience: the longer someone has been in the industry, the greater their appreciation of doing the job slowly and doing it only once.

I don't have a degree. Damned inconvenient that is, too. Is that what you meant? Or are you referring to the academics that have never done a day's real work in their lives?

Ergo, if you don't, it can't.

I would. There are principles and practices, just as there are in the fine art world. But every piece of code is hand-crafted from inspiration and imagination and experience. There is very rarely a 'right way' to code something. There are elegant ways, efficient ways, amusing ways, (and then there's C).

If not, you just did a copy 'n' paste.

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    In my experience the punch card brigade seem very reluctant to embrace new technologies.
    Anyone who is in the industry now that used punched cards has 20+ years experience of embracing new technologies. And what we learned in that time is that most of them are fads and fashions and not new either.

"Why use Oracle when I can do just the same in Access", is a conversation I've had.
    <cough> licence costs <cough> Anyway, MS Access is a toy. (I argued, "Why use Oracle when I could do the same in ISAM for free?" but nobody listened to me.)

They also see no need for documentation or version control on the code.
    I don't understand that. That has been the opposite of my experience: the longer someone has been in the industry, the greater their appreciation of doing the job slowly and doing it only once.

I have also met many who have a chip on their shoulder about not having a degree.
    I don't have a degree. Damned inconvenient that is, too. Is that what you meant? Or are you referring to the academics that have never done a day's real work in their lives?

I do believe programming can be taught, providing you have the right mindset.
    Ergo, if you don't, it can't.

Programming also requires creativity, but I would not go so far as to say it was an art.
    I would. There are principles and practices, just as there are in the fine art world. But every piece of code is hand-crafted from inspiration and imagination and experience. There is very rarely a 'right way' to code something. There are elegant ways, efficient ways, amusing ways, (and then there's C).

If not, you just did a copy 'n' paste.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    In my experience the punch card brigade seem very reluctant to embrace new technologies. "Why use Oracle when I can do just the same in Access", is a conversation I've had. They also see no need for documentation or version control on the code.

I'm not saying that you are all like that.
    I have also met many who have a chip on their shoulder about not having a degree.

I do believe programming can be taught, providing you have the right mindset. Programming also requires creativity, but I would not go so far as to say it was an art.

I think it's all the job ads that you are precluded from if you don't have a degree. So someone with a first from Cambridge in biological sciences would make a better programmer? Don't necessarily think so.

I worked with a chap once who has a 2:1 in computer science, who once asked me how a 4 bit integer could store a 5 digit number

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    In my experience the punch card brigade seem very reluctant to embrace new technologies. "Why use Oracle when I can do just the same in Access", is a conversation I've had. They also see no need for documentation or version control on the code.
    I don't think you're talking about the real punch card guys here: most people who started out when the computer had its own room bigger than your house, still think that Access is a credit card.

I started on punched cards and could punch them on a 12-key hand punch, and read them visually. What I always remember went with that environment was testing, documentation, and backups. And thought: one-day turnround didn't encourage suck-it-and see compilation and testing.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    I do believe programming can be taught, providing you have the right mindset.
    Parity Training do a test to measure your programming aptitude (even if you haven't got a CS background).

I had to pass it to get on the graduate training scheme I joined back in the good old days.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied

I'm not saying that you are all like that.

I do believe programming can be taught, providing you have the right mindset. Programming also requires creativity, but I would not go so far as to say it was an art.

Leave a comment:

• FSM with Cheddar
    replied
    You're either a computer proogrammer or you arn't. Going to university will never turn a non-programmer into a programmer
    Agree, it's a mindset that can't be taught.

Programming is an art not a science.
    Rubbish
    There are artistic elements to development, however it is (should be) mainly an engineering practice.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    At last, some common sense.

(It so happens I started with punched cards. )
    Punched cards? Luxury!
    We had to make do with paper tape and a needle.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    It seems to be broken at the moment...

And oddly, it's not our network that's stuffed...
    Okay, who broke housepricecrash.co.uk?

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    If anyone wants to know about proper programming, from back in the day, I could give them a few pointers.
    Boom boom tssch

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    If anyone wants to know about proper programming, from back in the day, I could give them a few pointers.
    I could give them a few pointers to your pointers.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X