• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Come on Burnley!!!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Come on Burnley!!!"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I think 23 players used this season and a total cost of 2.5 million. They have played 63 games I think. Only ManUre have played more.
    Out of the 23 players I am sure I heard that around 5 of them only played once or twice, and it was basically the other 18 that played the majority of the games. Incredible feat.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    He has certainly done very well with Burnley on a limited budget. Having got to the EPL however, without wishing to be too harsh, a successful season would be finishing 17th. Not sure how the brand of football they play, however entertaining, will cope with the quality in the EPL. They also have a very small squad too I believe.
    Still, whatever happens I hope Burnley do manage to survive as they at least seem to go about their business in an entertaining manner.
    I don't think we will have long to wait for the new Celtic manager to be announced as he has got some work to do preparing us for CL qualifiers.
    Nothing harsh there mate. Staying up would be an achievement.
    I think the current Burnley squad is tiny and cost bugger all.
    I think 23 players used this season and a total cost of 2.5 million. They have played 63 games I think. Only ManUre have played more. Burnley did so well in so many cups.
    Football has been superb to watch. I hope whatever happens that continues.
    If ever a team deserves its place I would say Burnley does. I hope I am nto being biased there. This team has been built up from scratch with very little budget. The club has come from the very bottom of the English league to play in the top flight in a short space of time without a major cash injection to buy their way up.
    Whether I am a fan or not I would applaud that.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    He has certainly done very well with Burnley on a limited budget. Having got to the EPL however, without wishing to be too harsh, a successful season would be finishing 17th. Not sure how the brand of football they play, however entertaining, will cope with the quality in the EPL. They also have a very small squad too I believe.
    Still, whatever happens I hope Burnley do manage to survive as they at least seem to go about their business in an entertaining manner.
    I don't think we will have long to wait for the new Celtic manager to be announced as he has got some work to do preparing us for CL qualifiers.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Well bad timing if you want him to stay at Burnley anyway. As for Mowbray, it depends what papers you read. You would not believe the list of possible names that is being mulled over in Celtic cyberspace. I have to say that Coyle is being strongly tipped by many who claim to have inside knowledge. Mind you, I have heard virtually every name from Glenn Hoddle onwards!!! Time will tell I suppose.
    Difficult decision for him.
    Carry on with a not so large club in (probably) the best league in the world or jump ship to a massive club in a somewhat lesser league (no offense meant).
    He certainly has history with Celtic, but Burnley must be a juicy proposition right now.
    Any manager must relish the thought of going up against the creme of the EPL.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Yep, it's bad timing for him really. I still think he'll try to make a go of it at Burnley. It looks like they're going for Tony Mowbray anyway.
    Well bad timing if you want him to stay at Burnley anyway. As for Mowbray, it depends what papers you read. You would not believe the list of possible names that is being mulled over in Celtic cyberspace. I have to say that Coyle is being strongly tipped by many who claim to have inside knowledge. Mind you, I have heard virtually every name from Glenn Hoddle onwards!!! Time will tell I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    I see where you are coming from, but the quandary might be that if it all goes pear-shaped the opportunity might have gone for ever.
    Yep, it's bad timing for him really. I still think he'll try to make a go of it at Burnley. It looks like they're going for Tony Mowbray anyway.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    I think the Celtic job has come a year to early for him. I can't see him leaving Burnley having just got them promoted, but if it all goes pear shaped this year and they go back down he might be looking for a new gig.
    I see where you are coming from, but the quandary might be that if it all goes pear-shaped the opportunity might have gone for ever.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Ambition coupled with the fact they are "his team", if you get my drift.
    I think the Celtic job has come a year to early for him. I can't see him leaving Burnley having just got them promoted, but if it all goes pear shaped this year and they go back down he might be looking for a new gig.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Why would he though?
    Ambition coupled with the fact they are "his team", if you get my drift.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Will it still be great if Owen Coyle leaves to go to Celtic though?
    Why would he though?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    To be fair some of those cup sides were not full strength teams but Burnleys football has been great to watch this season (for the few matches I got to).
    Attitude of both management, team and fans has been superb.
    Will it still be great if Owen Coyle leaves to go to Celtic though?

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    No no, I never said they follow those sides, they merely know them. Many will have seen Villa, Everton and Spurs play against sides in their country, and they've all won European trophies.

It's like our knowledge of Benfica, Ajax, Inter Milan, Valencia, Dynamo Kiev, Dukla Prague and even Anderlecht - we associate them as significant clubs with a bit of european history and glamour. But how many of us have heard of Stade Rennais?

Europeans have never heard of Fulham.

Having said all that, at least Burnley have played in the European Cup.
    They'll have heard of them for sure, but these days everyone watches the EPL so they'll have heard of Fulham as well. I'm not sure past glories equates to fashionable for a foreign player these days.

I think the money, competition in Europe, ambition,location etc are all more important than what any of those clubs have achieved in the past.

I think the fashionable argument could only be made for a top 4 side, in which case some players would take less money to play for them. I'm sure if it came to a straight offer from Villa or Fulham, and Fulham were paying more then most players (Mercenary as they are) would choose Fulham.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    Nah, not buying that for one sec.

It's cash and the lure of European football that would make Johnny Foreigner prefer Villa, Everton or Spurs to Fulham. All things being equal most O/S players would prefer to be based in London than Birmingham or Liverpool - granted prob spurs before Fulham.

And sorry to break it to you, but the vast majority of overseas fans don't follow any of the teams outside of the top four. They're a long way from glamorous - when's the last time any of them signed a player and they talked about how they were looking forward to representing such a world wide famous club ...
    No no, I never said they follow those sides, they merely know them. Many will have seen Villa, Everton and Spurs play against sides in their country, and they've all won European trophies.

It's like our knowledge of Benfica, Ajax, Inter Milan, Valencia, Dynamo Kiev, Dukla Prague and even Anderlecht - we associate them as significant clubs with a bit of european history and glamour. But how many of us have heard of Stade Rennais?

Europeans have never heard of Fulham.

Having said all that, at least Burnley have played in the European Cup.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    Well done Burnley. Their return to the topflight is long overdue after 33 years. They play football the right way and I have always had a soft spot for them for that reason.
    I think they can stay up, as they have shown this season that they can beat top teams in their cup run. If they treat each game as a cup game next season they will do well.
    To be fair some of those cup sides were not full strength teams but Burnleys football has been great to watch this season (for the few matches I got to).
    Attitude of both management, team and fans has been superb.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Oh yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just hope we can keep it up next season.

Well done the team and management. Great spirit and belief all season.

Are the rest of you footie fans not going to congratulate Burnley on their return to top flight footie?

Well done Burnley. Their return to the topflight is long overdue after 33 years. They play football the right way and I have always had a soft spot for them for that reason.
    I think they can stay up, as they have shown this season that they can beat top teams in their cup run. If they treat each game as a cup game next season they will do well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X