• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "oh dear: House prices continue long slide, says website"

Collapse

• Joe Black
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
    You havent lived in Brussels then , BTW went out with a friend last night, we imbimed four glasses of Jupiter Beer, total cost of 5 euros....
    Alf, it seems that the effects took a while to wear off. Perhaps you mean Jupiler?

€1.25 a glass?, I must be going to the wrong places.

Cheapest I've seen is €1.50, usually more - especially some parts of Brussels - and a glass or pint[je] is usually 25cl (less than half a pint), so I wouldn't say much different to some pubs I know in London or the City.
    Last edited by Joe Black; 26 October 2005, 23:45.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35 Avoider
    On a Saturday lunch-time about a year ago I had a nice lamb steak (with veg. etc.) at a small place just off Oxford street for less than £5. My only complaint was that the coke I ordered was warm.

My wife is even more than a penny-pincher than me - she regards £25 for a meal for two as excessive. (Neither of us drink alcohol, which helps.)
    Guys, do not quote the exceptions pls.Otherwise I start mentioning a fantastic trattoria in Rome where I could eat for 3000 lire (1 pound) back in the 90s. London is and will be a rip off for food with some due normal exceptions (not that is much different from the rest of Britain though).

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp
    I'm about to buy a flat in London.
    Good luck swamp. Where about?

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    On a Saturday lunch-time about a year ago I had a nice lamb steak (with veg. etc.) at a small place just off Oxford street for less than £5. My only complaint was that the coke I ordered was warm.

My wife is even more than a penny-pincher than me - she regards £25 for a meal for two as excessive. (Neither of us drink alcohol, which helps.)

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
    [..] For proper Londoners, we know where to go to get a two course meal plus wine for under £15 a head.
    Of course we know. We have to go abroad for that.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by WageSlave
    Proper meal in London for under £15? Joe's Wonky Pizza Place?

Class, my dear, class. One should always go to Rules.
    No its true.
    Mate works for UBS, we met in a pub on Liverpool Street and went to a Thai in a little arcade round the corner, cam to about 12 quid a head including beer. Cracking place too.

The again, the wife put the food budget up when we went to The Chop House and Quaglinos (spelling) later in the week.

Leave a comment:

• WageSlave
    replied
    Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
    Problem with non-Londoners coming to London is that you all go to Covent Garden / Soho for food, of course that's where all the tourist traps are. For proper Londoners, we know where to go to get a two course meal plus wine for under £15 a head.
    Proper meal in London for under £15? Joe's Wonky Pizza Place?

Class, my dear, class. One should always go to Rules.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    I'm about to buy a flat in London.

Leave a comment:

• Rebecca Loos
    replied
    That's because you are a man. I am sure Mrs Rebecca play the "gentle sex" trick with the other sex and gets everything paid so she can build her own empire.
    True but I was doing that in Nottingham and Reading too

No, I really meant it. Of course the highly posh places are more expensive than the highly posh places in other parts of the country.

But drink prices (for example in JD Weatherspoon pubs) are the same - £2.50 - £3.00 will buy you a small glass of wine, just like it did in other places in the UK I've seen.

Supermarket food is not more expensive as far as I can see

Restaurants are not more expensive, £15 for a starter, where did you go, Chez Gerard or something? Problem with non-Londoners coming to London is that you all go to Covent Garden / Soho for food, of course that's where all the tourist traps are. For proper Londoners, we know where to go to get a two course meal plus wine for under £15 a head.

I am serious - girl or boy, London is not more expensive - apart from accommodation of course.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    ...but now I have been shown the right way.
    Did you talk to Chico?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    I doubt you can find anything anywhere near that outside London.
    If you exclude directorships then yes, London (City) is probably the only place to make a lot more money than average - this is however exception now a rule. For majority of other jobs London is way too expensive to be worth it, unless you really love big city lifestyle (which I stopped loving even though I lived all my life in cities but now I have been shown the right way).

Leave a comment:

• fish
    replied
    hope interest rates go up to 15% again, ha ha

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    Alf, I do cheap reconditioned (one owner) avatars. Perhaps we could do a trade, one of your Pruffock Security Clearance Certificates in exchange?

Currently available are the following:

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    That's because you are a man. I am sure Mrs Rebecca play the "gentle sex" trick with the other sex and gets everything paid so she can build her own empire.

I quite like gentle sex. Rebecca is obviously highly skilled.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
    You havent lived in Brussels then , BTW went out with a friend last night, we imbimed four glasses of Jupiter Beer, total cost of 5 euros....
    Hi Alf, where's your avatar? I can't believe you are so poor you can't afford an avatar. Get a second hand one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X