• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Am I being stupid here ? or what"

Collapse

• Advocate
    replied
    So what about PHP and GNU?

/giving the handle another turn...

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    I had an account with (Lloyds) TSB Bank plc. Trustees Savings Bank Bank.

Leave a comment:

• FSM with Cheddar
    replied
    SQL is pronounced seequel because the full abbreviation is Structure English Query Language - SEQL. But the E disappeared over time.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    As Drewster and dang65 said, an abbreviation and an acronym are different things.

An acronym is, or in my opinion should be, a word formed from the initial letters of several words.

An abbreviation is just that, a shortened form. This is usefully divided into abbreviation by using the initial letters (this is not an acronym unless the abbreviation is used as if it were a real word), and abbreviation of a word by removing some of it.

Since an acronym is taken to be a word in itself, it should not contain any periods. An abbreviation, OTOH, should contain a mark for every letter or letters removed: this is usually an apostrophe for interior parts removed (as in "can't") and a period for early termination of a word. So actually I should have written "O.T.O.H.".

So we could say that it is "UK" and possibly "SQL" that are wrong: Should be "U.K.", and "S.Q.L." if you pronounce the letters, "SQL" if you pronounce it "sequel".

And of course "UKIP" if you pronounce it as a word, because then it is not just an abbreviation but an acronym.

Finally, it is normal to refrain from using a period where the abbreviation is exactly two letters, the first and last of the word. So "Dr" not "Dr.". However this would theoretically lead to "Mr Jones" and Mrs. Jones".

"ID" is of course an abbreviaton of "identity" and so should be "Id.".
    Last edited by expat; 19 May 2009, 08:56.

Leave a comment:

• AZZIK
    replied
    Originally posted by wc2 View Post
    People who refer to a "NIC card" should be shot!
    Shot twice..

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    ID would be an abbreviation then, I reckon. Unless anyone actually says "idd"???

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Hmm, approximately right, except I can't spell abbreviation.

Acronym is a word made up from other words, like RADAR.

Abbreviation is a shortened version of a word, or words - like Mass. for Massachusetts, or RR for Rolls Royce etc.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    I thought an acronym was a word (or sound) made up from the letters of a number of other words - so SQL would be pronounced "seequl" but UK (an abbrieviation) would just be pronounced as the letters "you kay". NASA would be an acronym, BAE and abbrieviation.

But I'm just making that up. Now to Google...

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    and pin number

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Correct!

It should be an NIC card

Leave a comment:

• wc2
    replied

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Not a bit. Things like that are important. Come to think of it, why are the words abbreviation and acronym so long? It would make more sense to talk about "abs" and "ACs".
    Let's not even get into the spelling of dyslexia ...

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    UK is an abbreviation for United Kingdom, right ?

SQL is an acronym for Structured Query Language, right ?

so we have abbreviations and Acronyms, where the heck does I.D. come into this. I mean what IS it.

Do I worry too much about trivial things?

Well you are not completely stupid.....

UK is similar to SQL in that it is an acronym not an abreviation

Id or ID is an abreviation of Identity (or Identification).

I.D. implies that its the initial leters of two words (acronym) but its not if its as in ID Card......
    if I.D. was being used to refer to the Identification Department then it would be correct.......... (not least because IdD would be so wrong)

Does that Help?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Not a bit. Things like that are important. Come to think of it, why are the words abbreviation and acronym so long? It would make more sense to talk about "abs" and "ACs".
    Or, indeed NAB. TLTAI. C2TOI, YRTWRDSAB&ACSLNG?

Perhaps because those of us who grew up with the English language won't understand what you're on about if you abbreviate everything.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    UK is an abbreviation for United Kingdom, right ?

SQL is an acronym for Structured Query Language, right ?

so we have abbreviations and Acronyms, where the heck does I.D. come into this. I mean what IS it.

Do I worry too much about trivial things?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X