• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Questions for the moderators / owners of CUK"

Collapse

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    It winds me when people get annoyed about new people posting questions that they "don't have time to respond to" yet they happily post drivel all day in TPD.
    I have a very good response to that Baggy, but I'm too busy responding to stupid newby questions to post it

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Have you been drinking?

Just to be explicit, alot of newbies ask questions without doing any research atall. No-one has ever objected to answering questions which are not in the FAQ.

When I was a newbie I got a rough ride : its character building........
    A bizarre thing is that a lot of newbies come on, don't even look at the RHS and see that there are FAQs and first-timer guides, plough right past the stickies without seeing them, and don't stop to think that they might not be the first with their questions; then get told by the oldies to RTFM; and then happily go off and do so. It's not that they won't read first, it's that they can't seem to get to it.

ISTM that they are just overwhelmed by the press of information, so they look for something that they can handle: human contact.

I promise therefore to try to be more human

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    STFU retard.
    its simple, if you dont like a thread ignore it. If it's from a newb, be gentle, we were all newbs once.
    Quite often they have a question which is close to the FAQ but not exact (in their minds) so they post

is it so hard to leave them alone ?

Have you been drinking?

Just to be explicit, alot of newbies ask questions without doing any research atall. No-one has ever objected to answering questions which are not in the FAQ.

When I was a newbie I got a rough ride : its character building........

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    <wot EO said>
    Now go back and read what I wrote with the benefit of hindsight. I think we are in agreement.
    Last edited by BrowneIssue; 16 May 2009, 22:25. Reason: Removed EO's quote

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    Edit: I was having a grot about newbie questions when I started this thread.

It's probably best ignored as it's just me missing the point of what an internet forum is for.

------------- original below -------------
    I've only been here five minutes and I'm already fed up of seeing the same newbie questions: "I've lost my job so I'm going contracting, tell me how, step by painful step."

Have you ever considered collating common Q&As and bunging them in a .PDF?

I would expect if one of us did so from information posted on here, it would a breach of your copyright.

Can you, or anyone else, think of a viable business model that would:

- mean common Q&As be put together for the benefit of newbies;
    - would compensate the collator for their effort;
    - think of some other means of achieving the same thing, e.g. a CUK Wiki?

STFU retard.
    its simple, if you dont like a thread ignore it. If it's from a newb, be gentle, we were all newbs once.
    Quite often they have a question which is close to the FAQ but not exact (in their minds) so they post

is it so hard to leave them alone ?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Have you not been taking your schizophrenia tablets?

Be careful or you'll start having those delusions again.
    Will he turn into **** if he fails to take them?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    No, that's still my point of view, I don't seek to edit yours when you disagree. Anyway off to get bladdered now, have a good one!

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    It winds me when people get annoyed about new people posting questions that they "don't have time to respond to" yet they happily post drivel all day in TPD.
    You are entitled to your point of view.
    Have you not been taking your schizophrenia tablets?

Be careful or you'll start having those delusions again.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied

It's probably best ignored as it's just me missing the point of what an internet forum is for.

------------- original below -------------
    I've only been here five minutes and I'm already fed up of seeing the same newbie questions: "I've lost my job so I'm going contracting, tell me how, step by painful step."

Have you ever considered collating common Q&As and bunging them in a .PDF?

I would expect if one of us did so from information posted on here, it would a breach of your copyright.

Can you, or anyone else, think of a viable business model that would:

- mean common Q&As be put together for the benefit of newbies;
    - would compensate the collator for their effort;
    - think of some other means of achieving the same thing, e.g. a CUK Wiki?
    You are entitled to your point of view. Maybe General needs to be renamed to Politics/House Prices and matters not related to contracting?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    What about all the posters who have fun beasting the newbies? Should their fun be spoiled?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I dont have time to respond to posts like this. I am off to tpd.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied

I wouldn't worry about it, I think it's a fair point you brought up.

A small part of my job is handling tech support issues and 90% of the enquiries are completely uneccessary purely because the user didn't bother to read the manual. I'm talking basics here, the serial number is printed on the front cover of the manual but I still get emails - 'I can't find my serial'

Has the internet made people lazy? Don't bother finding out the simplest things for yourself, just ask somebody else...

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    There aren't that many daft newbie questions that it bothers me. To be fair, nothing is that clear cut when it comes to starting out, there are many grey areas, IR35 being one.

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    You are quite right. I have allowed myself to be tainted by the standard grumpy attitude that pervades General.

I shall be more tolerant and instead of wanting to scream "FFS!" just ignore such questions and let someone else answer them.

I've been through a phase of being nice and I suppose what happens is you get tired of it. At which point the best thing to do is move on.

I'll scuttle off back to TPD to recharge my organs.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X