• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Hazel Blears pays tax that she "doesn't owe""

Collapse

• Cyberman
    replied
    So Brown comes out today and says that he will sack MPs that have mishandled expenses. So just why are Blears and Smith still in the cabinet ??!! Hypocrisy and lies yet again, and another nail in their coffin with the electorate.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Oh come on!

MP's are worth every penny!

Where would we be without them?

They are merely trying to boost the economy by spending

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    The MP's just don't get it. Milliband was just on the politics show and was asked about the armchair he claimed for and if it was wholly and exclusively part and parcel part of his role as an MP. He set off on about either buying a new one or repairing an old one completely glossing over the fact that an armchair is not a prerequisite of being an MP.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Why would she get done for tax evasion? The sad thing in the whole debacle is that whilst morally reprehensible, with few exceptions, MPs have done nothing wrong (in terms of breaching the rules) or illegal.

A friend of mine was bitching about it the other day, and then in the next breath was detailing how he put his new plasma screen TV through the company, and claimed for some made-up training that he hadn't been on.
    Sorry to disagree with you on this one TheFaQQer.

MPs have done something wrong. They've created a 2-tier system whereby they can claim everything on expenses legitimately. But your friend and Joe Public will get stung with interest and penalties if they are found to have done the same thing.

And I'm sure a lot of MPs were boasting in private just as much as your friend did as to how they have taken the public for a ride.

Oh, and some of the MPs have acted illegally, i.e. claiming for mortgage interest on a mortgage that doesnt exist, and they should be jailed. The others are just morally corrupt and I am not suprised that the public and media are baying for blood.
    Last edited by SantaClaus; 17 May 2009, 10:50.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    Erm...I pay taxes I dont owe as well - it's called "On Account", HMRC's legal theft service
    WSS - I'm already paying for this year's self assessment based on last years accounts, thieving gypsies. 5 figures too

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    She's got a plastic face.

I doubt she's even human.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Nothing will happen to her or the rest of them. In her case she will keep her seat also as she is the Labour MP for Salford. They could put Gary Glitter as the prospective Labour MP for Salford and He'd win. Afterall they have elected this ginger alien however many times.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    The rules in flipping 2nd homes to 1st homes are pretty complicated. I don't like her, therefore, I hope she's done something against the rules and gets done for tax evasion. At the very least, I would expect it to trigger an HMRC investigation.

She has committed fraud but I am not surprised that Brown has not suspended her while Cameron has been suspending his MPs. It says it all really !!

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Why would she get done for tax evasion? The sad thing in the whole debacle is that whilst morally reprehensible, with few exceptions, MPs have done nothing wrong (in terms of breaching the rules) or illegal.
    The rules in flipping 2nd homes to 1st homes are pretty complicated. I don't like her, therefore, I hope she's done something against the rules and gets done for tax evasion. At the very least, I would expect it to trigger an HMRC investigation.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Hello Bogey, back again old bean?
    Briefly Mitch. Back in blighty for a month. Bored already!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    Who loses?
    Bankers. Many people cry for them at night. Most of those people are their trophy wives.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    No they don't.

They just put any payments in credit against your SA account
    Hello Bogey, back again old bean?

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Lots of people in the Netherlands deliberately pay too much tax because the tax office pays it back a year later with 5% interest; best savings bank you can find in Europe.
    Sounds like quite a good system to me. Who loses?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    This was on R5 yesterday morning, they talked about having to draw up a new procedure for this...
    No they don't.

They just put any payments in credit against your SA account

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    She really is an odious little twerp. I hope she gets sent to jail for tax evasion.

If she'd thought about it a bit more she would have given the expenses back rather than face the investigators of HMRC.

What's that helpline where you shop benefit cheats? Do the HMRC have a similar line?

A friend of mine was bitching about it the other day, and then in the next breath was detailing how he put his new plasma screen TV through the company, and claimed for some made-up training that he hadn't been on.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X