• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: The economy

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The economy"

Collapse

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Originally posted by gordonbrown View Post
    You obviously don't understand economics.

It is only a paper debt. Every country has a so-called debt, which means when it's all totted up, nobody owes anybody else any REAL money.

I have moved some of this paper money to the banks, so that they start lending again. People can start spending their hard-earned credit cards and maximising the equity in their properties, and we will return to the steady growth that has been a hallmark of my government.

I say again, the robust credit opportunities I have engineered makes the British economy better placed than any other to emerge from the downturn.
    This all sounds depressingly true of the governments intentions for recovery.

Since I'm benched and have all the time in the world these days, I flicked through the HM Treasury's vision for the future of financial services.

The whole thing smacks of 'business as usual', and getting back on the gravy train asap. There is no 'real' bank reform guidance, and no splitting apart of the banking system to separate commercial deposit banking and investment banking.
    Its a big steaming pile of poo

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Grey Slates will remain - Grey Slates.

PS anyone seen any cybermen in this forum ? nah cant be true ...

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    House prices will go up

Those of us with the foresight to purchase cheaply some of the 75,000 repossessed homes and let them out to the dispossessed are the ones who are helping to give the economy a boost, and give the unfortunate a roof over their heads (at least until they stop paying rent)

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Where are house prices going up? Apart from Cybertoryshire that is..........

The stock market is a bear rally.
    It would appear Robin Griffiths agrees with you.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/30803109

The bear-market rally that stocks have enjoyed for the last 10 weeks is over, Robin Griffiths, technical analyst at Cazenove Capital told CNBC Monday. As a consequence, the FTSE-100 index and the euro will pare gains. In the meantime, investors should buy corporate bonds, he suggested.

Leave a comment:

• sweetandsour
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    In that scenario they have not lost money, and as no one has gained the money they didn't lose it's not applicable to the thesis that for every pound someone loses, another gains.
    That is my thinking really.

Credit is being destroyed, and that will depress activity, but I can't think of anyone who is losing money in the first place for someone else to gain it.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post
    They still won't be losing money unless they sell for less than they paid.
    In that scenario they have not lost money, and as no one has gained the money they didn't lose it's not applicable to the thesis that for every pound someone loses, another gains.

Leave a comment:

• sweetandsour
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Supposed they have lost their job, or kids have left home, or they are retiring and they want to downsize?
    They still won't be losing money unless they sell for less than they paid.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post
    I'm not sure about that.

What we are seeing is credit being destroyed. That credit never existed as real money in the first place.

Someone that has seen the value of their house drop by £50,000 has not really lost £50,000. Not unless they puchased it recently with a large LTV mortgage anyway.
    Supposed they have lost their job, or kids have left home, or they are retiring and they want to downsize?

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by gordonbrown View Post

It is only a paper debt. Every country has a so-called debt, which means when it's all totted up, nobody owes anybody else any REAL money.

I have moved some of this paper money to the banks, so that they start lending again. People can start spending their hard-earned credit cards and maximising the equity in their properties, and we will return to the steady growth that has been a hallmark of my government.

I say again, the robust credit opportunities I have engineered makes the British economy better placed than any other to emerge from the downturn.
    Gordon...please, go piss against an electric fence, will you?

Leave a comment:

• sweetandsour
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I heard something interesting said last night, forget where. It was said that for every pound that will be lost by people during this recession, there will be someone else making a pound. Discus.
    I'm not sure about that.

What we are seeing is credit being destroyed. That credit never existed as real money in the first place.

Someone that has seen the value of their house drop by £50,000 has not really lost £50,000. Not unless they puchased it recently with a large LTV mortgage anyway.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I heard something interesting said last night, forget where. It was said that for every pound that will be lost by people during this recession, there will be someone else making a pound. Discus.

Leave a comment:

• gordonbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    Hang on a mo !! Are you saying that we won't have a 700 Billion deficit over the next few years ??!!!

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Hats off to New Labour, Brown and co.

All this talk of a 1929 depression and nothing materialises.

A few wise words from the best PM since Churchill, a few £ trillion thrown to the banks and everythings back to Boom within a few months. Stock markets rocketing, house prices up and up.

This time next year we're all be millionaires.

Labour have my vote!

Hang on a mo !! Are you saying that we won't have a 700 Billion deficit over the next few years ??!!!

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    Nah just read on some financial website

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Is this opinion or do you have some economic theory to back this up?
    Nah just read on some financial website

Leave a comment:

Working...
X