• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "You're a bunch of wusses"

Collapse

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    How about cow juice?
    Mmm. Gravy.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    You're not laughing with a wild, crazed look in your eyes are you? Just checking
    as always...

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Thanks for that Drewster, It was most informative
    But I still wont be eating the stuff any day soon.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    You'll be my first port of call if any of those topics arise
    You'll have to join the (granted somewhat short) queue!

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    HTH - let me know if you want to know about Propolis, Langstroth, Skeps, Bee Space, Varoa etc
    You'll be my first port of call if any of those topics arise

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Excellent work Drew - I will impress the missus with my new found "knowledge" this evening
    HTH - let me know if you want to know about Propolis, Langstroth, Skeps, Bee Space, Varoa etc

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Honey is bee spittle - I don't eat the stuff
    How about cow juice?

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Although the Honey is a Sugar solution it does (somewhat obviously) get contaminated by the Pollen that the Bees also collect... As Bees only forage for pollen/nectar within a fairly small radius of the Hive this Pollen is "local" it stands to reason (although not specifically scientifically proven) that this may build up some form of "resistance" to alergic reactions to this Pollen.....
    Excellent work Drew - I will impress the missus with my new found "knowledge" this evening

Leave a comment:

• BrianSnail
    replied
    Not exactly news to the female population of the country though

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8047321.stm

"Women are well known to be able to respond more robustly to infections, and to recover more quickly than men."
    Finally! Scientific proof that men get more ill than women.

Man flu...worse than bird flu.

Leave a comment:

• Rookie
    replied
    [Put on Apiarist Hat]

<snip>

[Remove Apiarist Hat]
    Nice one Drewster.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    [Put on Apiarist Hat]

Honey is bee spittle - I don't eat the stuff
    Ahem! Honey is a solution of Sugar in water between specific %ages.
    The %ages mean that the solution doesn't ferment - which means that it can be stored (by the Bees) for a long time and acts as a food supply over the winter (it also means we can "steal it").

The Bees obtain the correct %ages by evaporating the water (by fanning etc).

The "Sugar" is obtained from plant nectar which is transported back to the hive and placed in the "honeycomb" - where the Bees do the required stuff to get the correct %age water/concentration.

They also collect Pollen - which is a source of protien for them.

There is no "spittle" involved!!

Some Larva are fed a special secretion from the Worker Bees which is called "Royal Jelly" - this (although produced/secreted from glands on the Bees head) and the Honey is fed to the larva/young by passing "mouth to mouth" which might be where your thought of "spittle" comes in......

My missus swears that eating locally produced honey helps to mitigate against the effects of hay fever to some extent.
    Although the Honey is a Sugar solution it does (somewhat obviously) get contaminated by the Pollen that the Bees also collect... As Bees only forage for pollen/nectar within a fairly small radius of the Hive this Pollen is "local" it stands to reason (although not specifically scientifically proven) that this may build up some form of "resistance" to alergic reactions to this Pollen.....

Incidently this "contamination" is what gives the Honey its flavour.. So Heather Honey and Acacia Honey and Borage Honey all taste different because of the tiny amount of Pollen left in the Honey......

[Remove Apiarist Hat]

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    You're not laughing with a wild, crazed look in your eyes are you? Just checking

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Right, that's me off to start Dinner for Girly.

Laters!
    Flippin heck, what are you cooking that's going to take 4 hours?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Right, that's me off to start Dinner for Girly.

Laters!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X