• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Living right in Central London"

Collapse

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    There's a pub in London where young women go who are desperate to pick up a guy and take him home for a shag, and we're not talking tobacco (or payment).

Someone mentioned it here a couple of years ago, but couldn't recall the name or location, and needless to say no one else knew either.
    Well wasn't it like that any central Walkabout about 15-20 years ago? Unless things have changed more recently...

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Stringfellows probably.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    .. PS Why do you spend your time roaming the dreary pubs?
    There's a pub in London where young women go who are desperate to pick up a guy and take him home for a shag, and we're not talking tobacco (or payment).

Someone mentioned it here a couple of years ago, but couldn't recall the name or location, and needless to say no one else knew either.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    Looks ex-council.
    I have a friend who lives in same block. You are right.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    Northerners tend to be lost and bewildered when they come to London. Often they are to be found standing in dreary pubs mumbling incoherently.

It's called having a conversation, you should try it, you could make some friends instead of sitting in front of your PC stereotyping people.

PS Why do you spend your time roaming the dreary pubs?
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 11 May 2009, 21:34.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Nah that's the extra we get for being fast and not dawdling in tube stations like you lot.
    Aye fast at spending the money in the wrong places - great!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    The London weighting on salaries should really be scrapped.
    Nah that's the extra we get for being fast and not dawdling in tube stations like you lot.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Holy Carp - for that I'd expect the castle thrown in free
    Correction it's £2338

You don't know you're born...

The London weighting on salaries should really be scrapped.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    You don't know you're born, here in Edinburgh may council tax bill is £2200.
    Holy Carp - for that I'd expect the castle thrown in free

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied

Read it and weep:
    http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/Home/Co...on.htm#howmuch

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by strawberrysmoothie View Post
    when living in london some broughs charge over £1500 for the year)

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    I lived in W1 for a while, bedroom window on to the street, 4am bin collection every day followed by 5am deliveries
    I lived in W1 for years and loved it.

I've just found the flat I used to own offered to let for 500pw. I'm tempted to phone up the agent to see if it's been let out because it won't sell. If so, maybe I should buy it back? I miss that flat so much. It broke my heart when I sold it, but it had to go.

Maybe not. Being on the run and all that. They might find me.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko View Post
    Any experience of people living right in the center of London? And I mean Covent Garden or Westminster, no, I don't mean Richmond or Kew Gardens sorry.... :-)

What is it like if you have children to be there?
    Sounds like afterall it is not that incredibly expensive as people might think.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...inBedrooms%3D2
    I lived just off Leicester Square some years ago, and it was OK apart from the lack of a large supermarket nearby.

Also the slamming of taxi doors, sirens, screeching of brakes, and Hooray Henries or Jack the Lads (hard to tell the difference from a distance) kicking up a row half the night could be annoying.

Also, the West End is literally heaving with people on friday and saturday night, which isn't to everyone's taste (certainly not mine).

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    I lived in Amsterdam for a while, bedroom window on to the street

Leave a comment:

• Rookie
    replied
    I lived in W1 for a while, bedroom window on to the street, 4am bin collection every day followed by 5am deliveries
    Was it the one with the red light?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X