• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "DOOMED - More house price falls 'likely'"

Collapse

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Pinto View Post
    You would have had to borrow £220K, as you paid off £20k of the mortgage. However, despite the larger debt, you would have had >20% deposit for the new house, whereas now you'd have <5%.
    Thanks mate. That was my point.

In fact, far from trading up being made easy, you can't even trade level: your former £200k house is now worth £150k, but if you sell for £150k and pay off the mortgage, you now only have £10k deposit to buy a £150k house. You won't get a mortgage on that.

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Government policy will always tend towards stimulating a growth in house prices. The reason for that is that such growth prompts people to go out an borrow money against that growth and spend it on goods and services. Our economic and financial system has "evolved" such that it is totally reliant on the expansion of credit.

That system hasn't been fixed. If you look at the measures adopted by governments and central banks across the world, all they are doing is papering over the cracks (example - look at the resistance and foot dragging to the separation of traditional high street banks from their more risky counterparts like investment banks...that should be an absolute no brainer).

So whilst, IMHO, I think this recession will end sooner than some people think, the growth over the next cycle will be lower than a lot of people expect because of the problems inherent in the system itself (and the debt!!). So in 8-10 years' time this will happen again....and the next one will make this recession look like a garden party because we will still be paying for this one.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Are you suggesting that taking out a mortgage is wrong?
    Depends on how much you borrow and whether you are "borrowing up" as DimShrimp so eloquantly put.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    "Borrow" your way up, eh?
    Are you suggesting that taking out a mortgage is wrong?

Leave a comment:

• Pinto
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    So now you have to borrow £200K to move up. Before you would have had to borrow £240K, so now £40K less in debt.

You would have had to borrow £220K, as you paid off £20k of the mortgage. However, despite the larger debt, you would have had >20% deposit for the new house, whereas now you'd have <5%.
    Last edited by Pinto; 6 May 2009, 12:40.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    So now you have to borrow £200K to move up. Before you would have had to borrow £240K, so now £40K less in debt.
    "Borrow" your way up, eh?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I waited before starting this thread as I expected you to start it. You are slacking...............
    Too busy making money to waste time on CUK.

Ciao.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I waited before starting this thread as I expected you to start it. You are slacking...............

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Not if they still have a mortgage.

Ex: Bought your house just a few years ago for £200k, now want to sell up and buy a bigger house, let's say one that was £280k at that time.

Suppose you had paid £40k deposit, and got £160k loan; and have by now paid off £20k.

Loan now £140k outstanding; house prices down 25% so yours worth £150k; new house worth £210k

Sell for 150k. Pay off loan, have £10k left for deposit on new house, which costs £210k.

Doesn't look to me like it has become easier to buy.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by chicane View Post
    And people wanting to buy a bigger house or a house in a better area.
    Not if they still have a mortgage.

Ex: Bought your house just a few years ago for £200k, now want to sell up and buy a bigger house, let's say one that was £280k at that time.

Suppose you had paid £40k deposit, and got £160k loan; and have by now paid off £20k.

Loan now £140k outstanding; house prices down 25% so yours worth £150k; new house worth £210k

Sell for 150k. Pay off loan, have £10k left for deposit on new house, which costs £210k.

Doesn't look to me like it has become easier to buy.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I think rampant inflation is better.
    When inflation is out of control it is very difficult to get it back to low levels: high inflation kills investment into companies and create jobs.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Well, there needs to be a correction in the housing market, otherwise your average first time buyer will be a 46 year old divorcee with 3 grown up children.

Either it can happen through prices falling or rampant inflation - I know which I prefer.
    Yes, but there are other things wrong with the economy that need correction, e.g. GPs on £billions of pounds a year which won't be cured by falling house prices. I think rampant inflation is better.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Well, there needs to be a correction in the housing market, otherwise your average first time buyer will be a 46 year old divorcee with 3 grown up children.

Either it can happen through prices falling or rampant inflation - I know which I prefer.
    Maybe all houses will be owned by a single person and the rest of us will rent...........

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by chicane View Post
    And people wanting to buy a bigger house or a house in a better area.
    Nothing wrong with a bigger houseif you need the room (though you might consider building an extension).

"Better" areas are over-rated. The neighbours can be unfriendly/miserable......

okay : I take your point : you win!

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Are falling and low house prices a good thing for the majority?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X