• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Finance cuts 'hit recovery hopes'"

Collapse

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I know some people at the bank where I worked for a year who are complaining that their bonuses for 2008 have been cancelled. They argue ´my department made a profit so I should get a bonus´. Being brought up among family businesses I’m not very sympathetic. I say that if the company as a whole is doing badly then nobody should get bonuses and everyone should work to improve matters; people who believe they are so bloody clever that they can ensure their department can run a profit while all around them are losing money should shut up, stop whingeing and go and start their own businesses; otherwise, shut up, stop whingeing and get back to their desks and do as they’re told. Same goes for civil servants when the country as a whole is struggling.
    Yep, it seems that no matter what happens, people try and lay the blame elsewhere - even when it's all falling down around them - ask Gordon Brown

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I like your attitude Mitch, pity you are not the boss of sasguru...

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I know some people at the bank where I worked for a year who are complaining that their bonuses for 2008 have been cancelled. They argue ´my department made a profit so I should get a bonus´. Being brought up among family businesses I’m not very sympathetic. I say that if the company as a whole is doing badly then nobody should get bonuses and everyone should work to improve matters; people who believe they are so bloody clever that they can ensure their department can run a profit while all around them are losing money should shut up, stop whingeing and go and start their own businesses; otherwise, shut up, stop whingeing and get back to their desks and do as they’re told. Same goes for civil servants when the country as a whole is struggling.

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    The Tories have an excellent opportunity to refloat this sinking ship with unpopular but commonsense measures.

More Executive Bailouts ?
    are you forgetting that labour has allowed the influx of uncountable numbers of parasites who will no doubt be voting for them.

i also note that there has been a spate of vote tampering cases in the midlands, thats the kind of thing that used to happen in pakistan and places like that. I wonder why we are now experiencing it?

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    Perhaps if Unite hadn't been so complicit and toothless over these redundancies this situation wouldn't have arisen. In their typical fashion all they are doing is sending a 'stongly worded message' to the big banks who, as usual, will acknowledge and then just ignore.

About time we had a few strikes I think.

"gave a flying tullip about private sector white collar workers"...

If they had been large scale transport sector workers, or blue collar manufacturing etc., methinks they would have been a bit more vocal than a strongly worded press release..

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Are those highly paid city bankers actually members of the union?

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Perhaps if Unite hadn't been so complicit and toothless over these redundancies this situation wouldn't have arisen. In their typical fashion all they are doing is sending a 'stongly worded message' to the big banks who, as usual, will acknowledge and then just ignore.

About time we had a few strikes I think.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    The Tories have an excellent opportunity to refloat this sinking ship with unpopular but commonsense measures.

You are confusing that with inept Labour policies.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied

Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 4 May 2009, 11:24.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post

Got some mates in the NHS who are angry at only getting a 2% pay rise this year.

Try and explain to them that folks are having to take pay cuts just to keep their jobs and they still dont understand

The recession is something they hear about on the news. They geniunely dont comprehend it. They seem to view it like a natural disaster in a far away country - looks bad on TV, but doesnt affect them.

The private sector have also had to make cuts in pensions, and the public sector will have to follow next year. The Tories have an excellent opportunity to refloat this sinking ship with unpopular but commonsense measures.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    The Public sector could start to make cuts by launching Trident.

Sorry - I meant scrapping Trident.

Freudian Slip and all that Jazz..
    Boomed - you could say...

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    Perhaps the public sector should also realise that it is time to make cuts and efficiency measures.

Got some mates in the NHS who are angry at only getting a 2% pay rise this year.

Try and explain to them that folks are having to take pay cuts just to keep their jobs and they still dont understand

The recession is something they hear about on the news. They geniunely dont comprehend it. They seem to view it like a natural disaster in a far away country - looks bad on TV, but doesnt affect them.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    The Public sector could start to make cuts by launching Trident.

Sorry - I meant scrapping Trident.

Freudian Slip and all that Jazz..

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Perhaps the public sector should also realise that it is time to make cuts and efficiency measures. At least private sector companies realise that they do not have a bottomless pit of taxpayers funds to keep bailing them out, except banks of course.
    Last edited by Cyberman; 4 May 2009, 10:31.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    "highly trained and experienced people"

Now, where have I heard that phrase before?????

Leave a comment:

Working...
X