• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Security Clearance

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Security Clearance"

Collapse

• HarryPearce
    replied
    Originally posted by Denny
    I know they do, but they must actually act according to the wording of the advert not use it as a ruse to stop representing non-security cleared candidates.

Only technical competency and willingness counts, not actual clearance itself. If a candidate shows willingness and is technically competent then the agent must treat that candidate equally with security cleared candidates and represent them as equals.
    There is no ruse to prevent non-cleared candiadates from applying for any post. But to say that only compotency and willingness counts is not quite true.

Depending upon the organisation, before you are allowed on site you will be required to provide certain information to prove your identity, and possibly your nationality and a brief check will be made on that information. Journalists and the like have used such opportunities in the past to gain access. Also on certain sites only UK nationals would be considered. This can normally be done within days and should be no bar to suitable individuals applying.

If you are successful in your application then you will need to wait for your clearance to come through before been allowed on site. That may take time, so I would advise that you apply in plenty of time if you do not wish to be unemployed between one contract and another.

Leave a comment:

• vista
    replied
    Originally posted by anthonychipp
    When you gain basic security clearance, do you get anything to keep to prove it for future contracts like an ID card/certificate?

I got a letter saying my BC clearance lasts 5 years

Leave a comment:

• Denny
    replied
    Originally posted by steve'O
    They don't...They cleverly state "required Security cleared or willing to undergo Security clearance"
    I know they do, but they must actually act according to the wording of the advert not use it as a ruse to stop representing non-security cleared candidates.

Only technical competency and willingness counts, not actual clearance itself. If a candidate shows willingness and is technically competent then the agent must treat that candidate equally with security cleared candidates and represent them as equals.

Leave a comment:

• steve'O
    replied
    They don't...They cleverly state "required Security cleared or willing to undergo Security clearance"

Leave a comment:

• Denny
    replied
    Apparently there has been consultation within the Cabinet Office in the past couple of weeks about the way agencies are advertising for roles requiring security clearance. The bottom line is that agencies are not meant to discriminate against contractors who are not security cleared and government departments are not meant to request this criteria of agencies either. All that is required is for people to be represented purely based on their technical skills not whether they are security cleared. Of course, it is still the case that contractors need to pass security clearance as per the usual channels, but that is to be expected.

I am contacting the Cabinet Office on Tuesday to find out what the situation actually is and will keep you briefed. Agencies are clearly in breach of the regulations if they are discriminating against non-cleared contractors when they are technically competent to carry out the roles advertised.

Leave a comment:

• s2budd
    replied
    Security Clearence

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Originally posted by s2budd
    How long does SC clearence last for a contractor?
    It does not say on the website.
    It lasts five years as a contractor (ten if you're a perm), BUT it lapses after a year if you leave your role. However lapsed SC is easy/cheap for a client to renew.

Leave a comment:

• s2budd
    replied
    Security Clearence

How long does SC clearence last for a contractor?
    It does not say on the website.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Black
    You don't happen to do assorted degrees and MBA's as well do you Alf?
    I will enquire if the Pruffock Portfollio Management Consultancy (c) office in Bangkok can be of assistance.

Ps we are also supppling corporates with Tamiflu on a if it doesnt work and you pop your clogs, full refund basis *

* subject to terms and conditions as described in the small print
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 20 October 2005, 11:42.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    You don't happen to do assorted degrees and MBA's as well do you Alf?

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Out of curiosity what types of checks are done to get SC? I presume of course it also depends on what level.

Joe in "I've got nothing to hide" mode.

As the song has it Jo, Everybodys got something to hide except for me and my monkey ....

Never fear, for a mere five guineas you can be the proud owner of the Pruffock Security Clearance Certificate (c) issued by the Pruffock Portfollio Management Consultancy Group.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    OK, thats my chances buggered then...

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Out of curiosity what types of checks are done to get SC? I presume of course it also depends on what level.

SC is a 'level' of vetting.

http://www.mod.uk/dva/faqs.htm

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    My clearance took six months (dodgy background) and likewise I received a reference number.

It will lapse next year but it will live on my CV for a few years yet.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X