• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Future of IT

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Future of IT"

Collapse

• MrMark
    replied
    Originally posted by dinker View Post
    Tell your kids to learn Mandarin.
    No matter how hard they study, they won't be as good as 700 million native speakers...

Leave a comment:

• dinker
    replied
    Tell your kids to learn Mandarin.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
    I don't think it is that bad.

Yes there will be less jobs for code moneys, however there will always be a need for advanced developers that can translate business requirements into a workable system.
    So where there was once jobs for 15 well paid people there will now be a job for one very well paid person and 14 people looking for minimum wage shelf stacking jobs.

Big improvement - not!

tim

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Do you think the UK IT industry will be revived by the Tories, i.e. they will clamp down on unlimited immigration, fast track wheezers and outsourcing? Or are we working in a doomed industry that is destined to go East whichever party comes into power?
    Q1)Nope

Q2)Yes

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by NickNick View Post
    Ignoring the obvious trolling element to the question. A Green Paper published by the toryscum this month explicitly states that they will close down a project that I'm working on when they come to power. No matter that this is a 6 year project that is to deliver in July 2010, some 2 months (?) after they come to power.

Yeah, they've got that one spot on, gives me fuill confidence in their abilities to oversee a)Large scale IT projects and b) the country.

Just my 2p.

NN
    Has it occurred to you that the timing of a project cancellation is irrelevant if the project itself is contrary to their policies or a manifesto commitment?

As you didn't mention what this project is, one can't be much more specific. But if it is the ID card scheme (which the Tories have always said they will scrap), or some "joined up" mega database, then cancelling it is the right thing to do even if this happens on the day before it's due to go live.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Hello threaded
    Whoosh

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Hello threaded
    I also find it amusing that my fish'n'chip shops are more profitable and have a better credit rating than some of my clients.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    And to think they wanted to know my credit rating during the three-monthly (!) screenings. 'Better than yours' was the only answer could think of.
    That is a very fair point

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    True. Last year I proudly made half a billion euros more profit than the bank where I was contracting.
    Hello threaded

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Better a fiver from SKA than minus fifty billion pounds from the capital of reckless gamblers who use other people's money - the City...
    True. Last year I proudly made half a billion euros more profit than the bank where I was contracting.

And to think they wanted to know my credit rating during the three-monthly (!) screenings. 'Better than yours' was the only answer could think of.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Besides AtW, I don't think the government are very interested in the annual fiver that results from SKA economic activity.
    Better a fiver from SKA than minus fifty billion pounds from the capital of reckless gamblers who use other people's money - the City...

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Surely this just marks you out as incapable of using the system rather than the system being at fault. I don't have a problem with it.

Besides AtW, I don't think the government are very interested in the annual fiver that results from SKA economic activity.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Surely this just marks you out as incapable of using the system rather than the system being at fault. I don't have a problem with it.
    Usually these systems are well user tested before being put into production. I find it hard to believe that it is a piece of tulip.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Surely this just marks you out as incapable of using the system rather than the system being at fault.
    If that was the attitude of a developer who wrote that system I'd fire him on the spot.

Anything related to payments should be as simple as possible and as easy as possible to minimise drop off ratio.

Leave a comment:

• TheRefactornator
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    ..Meanwhile the PCG will miss the boat (to loby for contractors' involvement in public IT) and will continue to be a wet blanket, "welcoming" tax clampdowns and the like.
    Oooh controversial..hand bags at dawn. I completely agree.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X