• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: CV Prof advice

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "CV Prof advice"

Collapse

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by steve'O
    Is there a company that will supply paper specific to the roll of Wiping a contractors Not Permy's arse?
    A CV will do nicely ...

Sounds like his CV is toooooo long. 3 pages is enough, with a summary of skills on the first one.

Fungus.

Leave a comment:

• DirtyOldMan
    replied
    Or more pictures of pretty young ladies..

I'm becoming obsessed by this one as you can tell.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    Maybe we could have a poll, I like polls.

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Originally posted by Daywalker
    I am curious as a contractor is there any organisation that exists where a CV can be tailored to the specific position you perform, eg contractor not permanent. I have quite a few contracts on my CV with technical descriptions and they are taking up a lot of room, CV is now going onto 5 pages.
    Stop trying to put everything including the kitchen sink on your cv, thats what permies do, not contractors as we are selling our relevant current skills more than ourselves. Especially IT contractors where techs go out of date pretty fast,no one needs to know you can program <insert stone age language>, nor do they need to know you made it to senior cash till operator at your local Burger king.

Descriptions per contract generally have no reason to go above 3-5 lines of summary (if anything besides management handy to put list of tech's used at bottom of summary, and don't put windows 98/xp ffs). This also gives you something to talk about at the interview.

Drop crap from 20 years ago, especially if it is no longer relevant or done the same type of thing 10 times since then

If your skills are varyed do multiple versions of your cv, if applying for PM jobs not point in giving descriptions of tricky code problems you solved, if applying for c# position no point in listing all your internet artwork/html experience.

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    Originally posted by Clownio
    That's as maybe but someone who is a bum-jockey might !

dabs of perfume behind the knees.....

Leave a comment:

• Clownio
    replied
    You would not want to see my arse never mind wipe it!

That's as maybe but someone who is a bum-jockey might !

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    I'm sorry I do apologies was this a serious question, if so, pull your finger out, and just type a second C.V.

Leave a comment:

• ancient
    replied
    I am curious as a contractor is there any organisation that exists where a CV can be tailored to the specific position you perform, eg contractor not permanent. I have quite a few contracts on my CV with technical descriptions and they are taking up a lot of room, CV is now going onto 5 pages.
    there were a few CV tips on this thread from a couple of weeks ago

http://forums.contractoruk.com/thread3899.html

DoggyAgent may be able to give you a second opinion.
    Last edited by ancient; 19 October 2005, 15:17.

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    What the wiping or the looking?
    as I said depends on the rate.....

Leave a comment:

• steve'O
    replied
    Originally posted by n5gooner
    depends what the rate is like, and if I could sub contract it out to India.

What the wiping or the looking?

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    depends what the rate is like, and if I could sub contract it out to India.

Leave a comment:

• steve'O
    replied
    yes us contractors get that grease proof paper as we are used to the harsh conditions of life, permis get soft paper as there are used to asre licking just to keep their jobs.

N5Gooner in I'm on a Chching trip again this week and don't give a flying monkies mode.

Don't forget to pack the tissues then!

Leave a comment:

• Daywalker
    replied
    do you want us to wipe your arse as well ?

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    Is there a company that will supply paper specific to the roll of Wiping a contractors Not Permy's arse?
    yes us contractors get that grease proof paper as we are used to the harsh conditions of life, permis get soft paper as there are used to asre licking just to keep their jobs.

N5Gooner in I'm on a Chching trip again this week and don't give a flying monkies mode.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    CVs are a constant source of threads here. I have a variety from 2 page for contracting all the way up to a 12 page monster that is attached to grant applications for my university work.

So its horses for courses.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X