• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Swine Flu: USA reports first death"

Collapse

• Lambros
    replied
    Dr Colin Fink (Micropathology Ltd) writes roday...

"It does seem strange that it has been associated with a high mortality in Mexico but not so far elsewhere. One has to ask whether the deaths are primary 'flu deaths ( as in the 1919 outbreak which killed fit young people in 3 - 4 days) or whether these deaths are in a group who have suboptimal nutrition and may have had secondary ( or existing) bacterial infections which were the cause of the mortality?
    Another possibility is the presence for more than one strain but still H1N1 . One not very easy for humans to catch except by close contact with pigs, but very pathogenic in humans, and the other far more easily transferred between man and man but much less virulent. If you are a parasite/pathogen, it pays not to kill your host - your chances of genetic persistence (what each species is about) are diminished if you kill the vehicle.
    Most new pathogens which jump species, recognise this maxim and quickly become less virulent within the new species."
    http://www.micropathology.com/about.html

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    death by face mask?
    Cracking band.

Saw them live at Torture Garden (where else ?)

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    so lets get this straight a stunning about what 100 people have died of this new killer out of a total global population of erm what about 6 billion so lets see that means that oooh 0.000016% of the human race so far has caught this bug....

you may be suprised to find that i think the add are still heavily stacked against contracting this desease never mind dying from it.

in addition to this we only know about this sort of thing because of increased global communications

if an outbreak of swine flu appeared in the 50, 60 and 70's in Mexico or some other faraway place then I am pretty sure we in the UK would never have heard of it.

it is just scaremongering bobbins which gives the medya the opportunity to trot all sorts of so called experts to give there particularly pointless opinions.

I have sympathy for the people who are dead and dying but hey - they will probably find they are part of a large number of people who will die today/tomorrow/the next day/the next week etc from non natural causes.

I wish everyone would just fe<k off with this popular panic stoking and get back to drinking beer, watching football and shagging birds.

WHS!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    so lets get this straight a stunning about what 100 people have died of this new killer out of a total global population of erm what about 6 billion so lets see that means that oooh 0.000016% of the human race so far has caught this bug....

you may be suprised to find that i think the add are still heavily stacked against contracting this desease never mind dying from it.

in addition to this we only know about this sort of thing because of increased global communications

if an outbreak of swine flu appeared in the 50, 60 and 70's in Mexico or some other faraway place then I am pretty sure we in the UK would never have heard of it.

it is just scaremongering bobbins which gives the medya the opportunity to trot all sorts of so called experts to give there particularly pointless opinions.

I have sympathy for the people who are dead and dying but hey - they will probably find they are part of a large number of people who will die today/tomorrow/the next day/the next week etc from non natural causes.

I wish everyone would just fe<k off with this popular panic stoking and get back to drinking beer, watching football and shagging birds.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    It will be interesting to see if the 23month old who died in the US was Hispanic, could they have less resistance to the virus than gringos?
    That would make a chance from syphilis, eh?

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by NoddY View Post
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A government official confirmed the first U.S. death from the new H1N1 swine flu on Wednesday, a 23-month-old child who died in Texas.

It is the first death from swine flu reported outside Mexico, the country hardest hit by the influenza outbreak. The official gave no other details on the case. U.S. officials have confirmed 65 cases of swine flu, most of them mild.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsO...38123420090429
    It will be interesting to see if the 23month old who died in the US was Hispanic, could they have less resistance to the virus than gringos?

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    looks more like Agammonmemnon to me
    Only if it was during his pre cymec phase

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by GardenGirl View Post
    Apparently the Child was from Mexico but had been taken to the US for Medical Treatment.

Yes, so she would probably have died in Mexico anyway.

It's about time they stopped all flights to Mexico and flights from should only be to repatriate people. That's commonsense though isn't it so I don't see that happening.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    This is an absolute tragedy

It should also be noted (although this comes under the heading of statements-of-the-bleeding-obvious) that disease does not recognise natural or national boundaries or borders, and that Texas is on the border with Mexico.

Perhaps there's something in this strain of H1N1 that it's particularly susceptible to hot weather?
    Are you sure that avatar is Menelaus ? looks more like Agammonmemnon to me

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Does anyone know whether the aircon systems on public transport (Train, Tube etc) employ any kind of filtration? Or are commuters just gambling with their health?

Irrespective of whether I (as a commuter) get swine 'flu or not. Just your regular kind of 'flu is bad enough. I don't want to be laid up in bed in this fine weather.

when you could be making billable hours

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Does anyone know whether the aircon systems on public transport (Train, Tube etc) employ any kind of filtration? Or are commuters just gambling with their health?

Irrespective of whether I (as a commuter) get swine 'flu or not. Just your regular kind of 'flu is bad enough. I don't want to be laid up in bed in this fine weather.

Leave a comment:

• techno
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    I've just seen on the Beeb (apologies if this is elsewhere) confirmed cases in London, Redditch and Torbay.

Linky
    In the BBC report it says that the school that the girl went to is being closed for period of time.

What about other pupils of that school who may have brothers / sisters that go to another school that is not closed. this is a worrying development.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    I've just seen on the Beeb (apologies if this is elsewhere) confirmed cases in London, Redditch and Torbay.

Linky

Leave a comment:

• GardenGirl
    replied
    Apparently the Child was from Mexico but had been taken to the US for Medical Treatment.

Leave a comment:

• Pinto
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    You might be made of wood, but if I were you I'd wear one too...
    If you wore one, not only would you protect yourself, you also wouldn't get so many funny looks
    Last edited by Pinto; 29 April 2009, 13:34.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X