• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "No wonder kids are so fat"

Collapse

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    Just a matter of time until it works it's way into secondary as well....
    I hope not. And I doubt it will too since secondary has teachers dedicated to PE.

Knowing a fair few PE teachers, they are all enthusiastic about their sports, and try to instill that in their charges.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    I don't know if you're talking about primary or secondary, but Mrs MM is Head of PE at a secondary. They have all sorts of competitive teams playing borough and county sport as well as loads of kids going to clubs where the sport is individual (athletics, tennis etc etc).

To say secondary kids are removed from competitive sport is just wrong.
    Primary, it won't be all schools but the majority now have carousel activities instead of sports day where they all get some sort of token for taking part with no overall defined winner.

Just a matter of time until it works it's way into secondary as well....

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    Child labour building fences? That's cruel!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    <cyberman>
    It’s denying a job to skilled British workers too!
    </cyberman>

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Pogle jr's primary school has lots of teams for stuff.
    They do all sorts to get the kids into sports and activities.

She does fencing before school once a week and loves it.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Pogle jr's primary school has lots of teams for stuff.
    They do all sorts to get the kids into sports and activities.

She does fencing before school once a week and loves it.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Do they make them fight in a cage?
    That's the queue for the chips at lunchtime...

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    He didn't say anything to suggest it was a boarding school.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    I don't know if you're talking about primary or secondary, but Mrs MM is Head of PE at a secondary. They have all sorts of competitive teams playing borough and county sport as well as loads of kids going to clubs where the sport is individual (athletics, tennis etc etc).

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Sadly that mentality is true, there are a large number of schools that don't do a traditional sports day any more so that they don't have any losers.... Teachers are also not allowed to mark work incorrect with a red cross in most schools nowadays as the red cross is demeaning the poor little dear. Most teachers now use the green tick pen to make crosses, just wait in a few years time a green cross will be demeaning.....

(My wife is a teacher hence I have the inside track on some of this stuff)

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Sadly that mentality is true, there are a large number of schools that don't do a traditional sports day any more so that they don't have any losers.... Teachers are also not allowed to mark work incorrect with a red cross in most schools nowadays as the red cross is demeaning the poor little dear. Most teachers now use the green tick pen to make crosses, just wait in a few years time a green cross will be demeaning.....

What a royally resplendent bunch of arse. Where do these idiots get their maligned ideology from? Cultural Marxism will be the death of society. I'm hoping there'll be a backlash to all this.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Please tell me you're joking. Where did you hear that? If that's true I might just have to punch a Labour politician.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I got chatting to a fellow from the German athletics union a couple of weeks ago on the train. I asked him what he thought was going wrong with European athletics, seeing as the 2008 Olympics was the worst year ever for the big European athletics nations (GB, although they did well in cycling, France, Germany and Italy used to dominate track and field together). He said that it’s difficult enough to get young kids to start athletics but when they do start they are often simply less fit and fast than 9 or 10 year olds twenty years ago.
    It's right, kids just aren't so fast nowadays. I was in a bike race a few weeks ago and came in just in front of one of the chaps in the Saxo Bank Team.

He'd only lapped me twice!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I got chatting to a fellow from the German athletics union a couple of weeks ago on the train. I asked him what he thought was going wrong with European athletics, seeing as the 2008 Olympics was the worst year ever for the big European athletics nations (GB, although they did well in cycling, France, Germany and Italy used to dominate track and field together). He said that it’s difficult enough to get young kids to start athletics but when they do start they are often simply less fit and fast than 9 or 10 year olds twenty years ago. I asked him if that’s just his memory (you know, rose coloured spectacles and all that), but he told me he had all the data on times at different distances and weight of the kids and could only explain the problem in terms of the lack of exercise at an early age, one thing being that kids don’t walk or run to school and back anymore. Once someone’s got that disadvantage at 10 years old it’s very difficult to turn him into a top athlete at 20.

We then exchanged ideas for a future ‘Westerners Only Olympics’ to be held in 20 years time. The 100 metre walk while eating hamburger, the 400 metre texting competition, the low jump, throwing the ping pong ball, heavyweight happy slapping etc were some of our ideas.

So take heart in the chance that your son might actually compete in the real Olympics.
    I remember once in the caribbean(Jamaica I think) they did a English vs American contest.

They may have whipped us in the swimming but we sure as hell could drink them under the table.....

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Oi Cybertwat! If you read the OP properly and had an understanding of English you'd understand how much <more> of a pillock you've just made yourself out to be.

Collecting for an appointment and just picking your kids up from school are two very different things.
    And - he did make it perfectly clear that his kids walked....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X