• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Are you Microsoft certified?"

Collapse

• jmo21
    replied
    I just remembered I had a call a couple of weeks ago, where a pimp insisted I should download the MCSD logos from the MS website and attach them to my CV to make it more obvious that I have that qualification.

I didn't bother in the end.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    During a boom time when contracts are plentiful and contractors scarce, they are of no value.

During a doom time when contracts are scarce and contractors plentiful, they help some companies select CV's for interviews.

So, yes, having certification now is a good thing.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Always thought it was a waste of time. Good for getting work in Microsoft Partner shops as MS requires certified people on company payroll to keep using the MS logo.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    I did a MCAD in C# in around 2002 when C# was just taking hold to differentiate my CV from everyone else's. I did it at what's now Firebrand Training at a bootcamp and I'd recommend it if you solely want to pass the exams. IIRC it was around £1800 for the week's residential course including all meals etc. It got me in front of clients but you need the experience to back it up otherwise it's useless. Think of doing the course as reading a "Bluffer's Guide" and you have the gist.

Leave a comment:

• Stan.goodvibes
    replied
    clientco just paid for me to do the 3 MS BI courses - Reporting, Integration and Analysis Services - approx 2,500 quids worth *and* let me charge my hourly rate while on the course!

I'm planning on doing the exams and getting certified, as all there is left now to pay for is the exam-prep books.

Will it pay? time will tell, but in this market everything that gives you an edge over the other candidates has gotta help.

Leave a comment:

• DieScum
    replied
    Anyways 7 exams and £3500 later
    You shouldn't be spending 3.5k though. Book + exam fee < 150. So about 1k for 7 exams.

Leave a comment:

• DieScum
    replied
    I have some old ones for w2k.

Starting studying now for new ones. It has helped in that I have learned things I just didn't know before.

It does give you a realistic chance of earning more because companies will look at it on your CV, they mostly don't understand how easy or hard it is.

Also you can guarantee a pass by cheating and downloading the questions. Do those sites still work?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    They're good for permy roles but rarely relevant for contract work, like a few on here I always plan to take some but never get round to it.

I must do some soon though as my long term plan is permidom once the mortgage is gone.

It’s probably a lot easier to do when you’ve amassed a small fortune so you can pick and choose relevant courses during bench time but I spend all my bench time panicking trying to find the next gig.

Leave a comment:

• the_duderama
    replied
    Have the MCSA in messaging but i can't be bothered to do the MCSE or the new ones. I hate doing infrastructure/server stuff now - I did it for about 8 years. Looks like networking/VOIP is the way forward for me.

Problem with the MCSE stuff is that you'll only either be:

Installing new stuff/upgrading - interesting but now rare.
    Patch management - yawn.
    Backups - yawn and urrggh.
    Desktop/end user support - just urrrghhh.
    Dealing with bad 3rd party software

Also you're really just an expert user on some software written by microsoft, but i quess you could say the same for alot of other stuff in IT.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Why not get a fake certificate? It works for Bob Shawadiwadi and at least two very large well known consultancies I shan't name for fear of being sued, but both of them were caught supplying fake CVs to my last clientco and nobody batted an eyelid.

Leave a comment:

• jcw1407
    replied
    Unfortunately I have little choice in the matter - if I want to train using Microsoft curriculum I have to be an MCT. Similalrly with IBM and RedHat - still my list of certs is impressively long

Leave a comment:

• merrsh1
    replied
    I've got an c# MCPD and yes they are definitely worth doing. A few reasons:

1) They show you can probably do the job to an employer.

2) If two people have the same qualifications or experience you will probably get the interview if they aren't certified.

3) Most people just do the same kind of work day in day out, to get certified you have to understand pretty much the whole framework, not just 10% you deal with.

4) They make you a better developer, the work required to pass is significant.

5) Most importantly any advantage is worth having...

Leave a comment:

• FSM with Cheddar
    replied
    Only ever been asked once if I have any MS certifications. I said no they are a waste of time, and I got the gig.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Why can I not vote in this Poll.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Conversely, some of the IBM certs are actually worth doing from a knowledge point of view - I just can't be arsed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X