• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Car scrapping incentive..."

Collapse

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    BTW it is the most utterly crap idea from crapideaville.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    BMW complained.
    Quiet, I am sure Bentley, Aston Martin, Rolls-Royce are not thrilled either.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    according to the radio (BBC), the German manufacturers weren't that keen on the German scheme - BMW complained.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    People who drive those bangers are probably the ones who can't afford new car anyway.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    What percentage of these cars will be built abroad? 90%?

What pecentage of these cars will be built by a car company from abroad? 99.9%?

Germany has a real car industry to prop up, we are just clutching as straws.

Leave a comment:

• GardenGirl
    replied
    My cars more than 10 years old but it aint no banger! yes it probably sends out more co2 than todays car by then my car is made of metal not plastic and will last more than 5 minutes unlike todays rubbish! Also when they factor in the Green aspect how much CO2 did it cost to scrap that 10 year old car and make that new car, when are you all square environmentally? i'd bet it would be something like emm 10 years!

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by thelace View Post
    In Germany, you have to have owned the car for a year prior to scrapping it, this closes the loophole the rich could exploit buying a wreck and using it to get £2k of the price of a new Beemer.

However the basic premise remains. If you're driving a 10 year old car, it's generally because you haven't got the money to spend on a new car!

Ans as the promised release of lending from banks has failed to materialise, then credit is no longer an option!
    Correct. I was thinking of getting an old tulip heap and buying a little Fiat 500 for the missus until this was pointed out. However car sales in Germany for the first quarter have lept through the roof, something like 30% above average...

Leave a comment:

• scaramanga
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Well if I was looking to buy a brand new car (not that I would as the depreciation is ludicrous) then I'd pick up a wreck for under a hundred to exploit this and then sell my old car privately.
    Then you would get no rebate because you have to own the banger for a year to qualify.

It is only a short term proposal so if you bought the banger now the scheme would have expired before it became eligible.

Leave a comment:

• Pinto
    replied
    Originally posted by thelace View Post
    If you're driving a 10 year old car, it's generally because you haven't got the money to spend on a new car!

Leave a comment:

• thelace
    replied
    In Germany, you have to have owned the car for a year prior to scrapping it, this closes the loophole the rich could exploit buying a wreck and using it to get £2k of the price of a new Beemer.

However the basic premise remains. If you're driving a 10 year old car, it's generally because you haven't got the money to spend on a new car!

Ans as the promised release of lending from banks has failed to materialise, then credit is no longer an option!

Leave a comment:

• denver2k
    replied
    Apparently, this sort of incentive proved quite handy for Germany when they introduced it few months ago. However, for UK it may not be that good. 1) Its quite late now to persuade people to spend on new cars 2) Theres no big car industry(as compare to Germany or even France) apart from some plants of Foreign companies.

As TykeMerc mentioned , 'depreciation is ludricous', investment in car (unless you desperately need it ) would make you a proud owner of a toxic asset

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Well if I was looking to buy a brand new car (not that I would as the depreciation is ludicrous) then I'd pick up a wreck for under a hundred to exploit this and then sell my old car privately.
    I'm not sure what they aim to achieve by this apart from subsidising new car sales.
    stimulating

We'll see.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Analysis seems to be that because the car industry will be responsible for paying half the £2000 plus paying to scrap the old car plus doing all the paperwork etc that new car prices may in fact rise to cover the shortfall.

Plus of course is that even if there were any benefit to the car industry, it would likely benefit foreign manufacturers since we have no car industry of our own to speak of.

This budget has been pathetic

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    I'm not sure what they aim to achieve by this apart from subsidising new car sales.

Leave a comment:

• denver2k
    replied
    But most of the people will prefer to keep that 10 year old banger until doom is gone

Leave a comment:

Working...
X