• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oracle Agrees to Acquire Sun"

Collapse

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Me either. Seems like a lot of money to splash out. They paid about a 40% premium. Still it gives oracle access to a fantastic customer base I guess.
    Most of whom were customers already - I've rarely seen a SUN machine not running an Oracle database.

As for mySQL accounting for "95%" of the databases in the world, I think not. Their own site is even a bit vague about the figures (referring to percentages of developers who use it). Nevertheless I'm impressed as I didn't realise it had such takeup.

http://www.mysql.com/why-mysql/marketshare/

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by jkoder View Post

Not too sure what to make of this deal at the moment,
    Me either. Seems like a lot of money to splash out. They paid about a 40% premium. Still it gives oracle access to a fantastic customer base I guess.

Leave a comment:

• jkoder
    replied
    Didn't know SUN and JAVA were acronyms

Not too sure what to make of this deal at the moment, I guess anything is speculation until more times passes by.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by LazyFan View Post
    Expected this year in a rubbish market:
    "In those six months, Java accounted for $101m in billings"
    Source

I know I said profit but $200m in a year on billings should make you a profit for just software. And I am sure if you looked at last years earnings report it did in fact say around £200m profit.

JAVA does make money.
    I expect this is going to down to sematics, I agree they have made a few coppers off me doing my certifications, they make a good bit from training but from actual java it is a loss leader. $101 is the turnover of a football club, it is not a revenue stream that can support a company the size of SUN.

I think SUN are a great company, java is the best language to develop in, glassfish is massively better than websphere, weblogic, jboss or oracle's AS. Netbeans is a mile ahead of eclipse which is industry standard. Yet I work in RAD.

I am glad that oracle got them infront of IBM, IBM got to develop much of java in the early days and their parts of the JDK stink.

Leave a comment:

• LazyFan
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I think we have to ask for a point of evidence on that.
    Expected this year in a rubbish market:
    "In those six months, Java accounted for $101m in billings"
    Source

I know I said profit but $200m in a year on billings should make you a profit for just software. And I am sure if you looked at last years earnings report it did in fact say around £200m profit.

JAVA does make money.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    .NET wins

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by LazyFan View Post
    Apart from the £200 million they annuonced as making off JAVA directly in last years earnings report. As you know they make money off JVM licenses and the various other indirect ways to make money off JAVA. Sure thats small fry in the big corp world, but to say JAVA does not make money is just not true.

Lets bury that old urban myth that JAVA makes no money. It makes enough money to fund itself.
    I think we have to ask for a point of evidence on that.

Leave a comment:

• LazyFan
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Massive amounts of support revenue could be gained from mySQL, I'm going to make a guess that about 95% of databases in the world are mySQL.

Most of the big hitters are buying up open source products to be placed as a 'diet' product.

Java will never make a penny, I vote on the JCP, Java has pretty much been out sourced to the community.
    Apart from the £200 million they annuonced as making off JAVA directly in last years earnings report. As you know they make money off JVM licenses and the various other indirect ways to make money off JAVA. Sure thats small fry in the big corp world, but to say JAVA does not make money is just not true.

Lets bury that old urban myth that JAVA makes no money. It makes enough money to fund itself.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Why would Oracle want mySQL ? I recall they have a database offering of their own

But they do want Java.

I wonder if they're serious about becoming a hardware player.

Why do you think it would have been bad if IBM got them? I think IBM would have ported Solaris to their own architecture, giving SUN users the opportunity to get at some decent hardware for once

Massive amounts of support revenue could be gained from mySQL, I'm going to make a guess that about 95% of databases in the world are mySQL.

Most of the big hitters are buying up open source products to be placed as a 'diet' product.

Java will never make a penny, I vote on the JCP, Java has pretty much been out sourced to the community.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Bit out in the wild here, but Cisco have just gotten into the hardware game. Might be looking for some tin.

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Why would Oracle want mySQL ? I recall they have a database offering of their own

But they do want Java.

Why do you think it would have been bad if IBM got them? I think IBM would have ported Solaris to their own architecture, giving SUN users the opportunity to get at some decent hardware for once
    So far as I'm aware, Oracle already own Innodb (which is the transaction-based engine for Mysql). Perhaps they just want the full set?

Yep - link here
    Last edited by MrMark; 20 April 2009, 12:48. Reason: add relevant link

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    OpenSolaris has been ported to their hardware, zSeries only though. Does this mean that Sun software is now going to cost an extortionate amount of money, much like most of Oracle's stuff already does?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied

But they do want Java.

Leave a comment:

• martch
    replied
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124022726514434703.html

I wonder what that means for Sun's hardware
    Not just that, but MySQL and Solaris as well - Oracle could start pushing their Linux over Solaris, and OpenSolaris looks doomed. Might have to start brushing up my AIX and HPUX...

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Thanks God it was not IBM that got them, Oracle probably want them for mySQL, don't think I will ever see a solaris box again in my life.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X