• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Benefits......

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Benefits......"

Collapse

• SizeZero
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    Realistically though, who is going to employ a woman that is four month's pregnant when they know that she will want maternity leave within a few months. I just can't see an employer taking her on in the current climate and thus neither would the Jobcentre.

Realistically, nobody would (although I know a 6 month pregnant woman who sucessfully got a job 4 weeks before she started maternity leave). However, although employers can disguise their discrimination, the benefits agency cannot: therefore unless she is on bed rest with pre-eclampsia or similar, and she is mobile enough to get to their office for interview, they cannot refuse her on grounds of pregnancy.

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied
    Ok- then lie, most people who claim benefit do.

Say she is looking for work and claim JSA which she is entitled to. If she gets an interview, looking at the answers here - she would not get the job anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
    Are you sure?
    It is illegal not to employ anyone because they are pregnant so surely you can claim JSA. Quick look around states you can not claim JSA if you are:

within eleven weeks of the baby being due OR · before that date, but are “incapable of work” because of difficulties with the pregnancy
    Yes it is illegal to not hire a pregnant woman. They won't say that though will they they'll just find a reason.

Anyway NetwkSupport said that his Mrs wasn't looking for work.

Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post
    Because she's pregnant she isnt looking for work so cant get JSA or anything.
    See that is totally different. She's not looking for work so no JSA.

If she wants JSA then tell her to go looking for some work. Simple. With all due respect its not upto the Govt to pay your mrs to sit around and be pregnant. If its planned then shirley you budgeted for this and if its not then you've only really got yourself to blame. If she 4 months pregnant then she's got 9 weeks of JSA allowed.

See my earlier post - she is available for work! you can't not employ a women on the grounds that she is pregnant - not unless it prevents her from doing the job.
    And our survey says......urrrghhh!!! She's not looking

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    if she is going to get all touchy about it, my advice is, dont tell her about the hemorrhoids
    I like to mention to my newly pregnant friends the miracle of the vaganus. Knowing more about pregnancy than most women really does have advantages in the pub and pish taking.

Get her to apply for as many jobs as she can then if she does not get them say you will sue on discrimination grounds!
    Why? You'd have to prove a lesser skilled non pregnant candidate got the job and then all they'll say is that they liked her personality / corporate fit better.
    Last edited by Sockpuppet; 6 April 2009, 15:05.

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    I actually suggested that, she shot me a look oh i know why dont i do it in between being sick, feeling dizzy, wetting myself and sleeping?
    Is she a banker ?

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied
    Realistically though, who is going to employ a woman that is four month's pregnant when they know that she will want maternity leave within a few months. I just can't see an employer taking her on in the current climate and thus neither would the Jobcentre.
    Discrimination

Get her to apply for as many jobs as she can then if she does not get them say you will sue on discrimination grounds!

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Realistically though, who is going to employ a woman
    Public sector?

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    See my earlier post - she is available for work! you can't not employ a women on the grounds that she is pregnant - not unless it prevents her from doing the job.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I actually suggested that, she shot me a look and said:

when you idiot? oh i know why dont i do it in between being sick, feeling dizzy, wetting myself and sleeping?
    if she is going to get all touchy about it, my advice is, dont tell her about the hemorrhoids

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Yes, let's employ a pregnant woman, that'll be a good idea!!!

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied
    To get JSA you need to be 'available for work', so obviously she fails on that count. If she had left a job to have the baby she would get paid maternity leave.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    why dont i do it in between being sick, feeling dizzy, wetting myself and sleeping?
    Drink problem eh?

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Child support is £20 a week - for the kids nappies.

But nothing for her. I sound like a money grabber but she's paid her taxes..! Surely she should be entiteled to a JSA style thing for new mothers/pregnant women.

To get JSA you need to be 'available for work', so obviously she fails on that count. If she had left a job to have the baby she would get paid maternity leave.

Leave a comment:

• NetwkSupport
    replied
    Can't she argue she's looking for work modelling maternity clothes?
    I actually suggested that, she shot me a look and said:

when you idiot? oh i know why dont i do it in between being sick, feeling dizzy, wetting myself and sleeping?

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied
    The Mrs is out of work. And 4 months pregnant.

Thing is ....if she wasn't pregnant she'd be able to sign onto JSA and look for work. Because she's pregnant she isnt looking for work so cant get JSA or anything.

This strikes me as strange.

I'm not saying we need the money but surely the lass should be entitled to claim something, especially being pregnant and unemployed.

Are you sure?
    It is illegal not to employ anyone because they are pregnant so surely you can claim JSA. Quick look around states you can not claim JSA if you are:

within eleven weeks of the baby being due OR · before that date, but are “incapable of work” because of difficulties with the pregnancy

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Can't she argue she's looking for work modelling maternity clothes?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X