• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Ambitious women

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ambitious women"

Collapse

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    There is a tendency unfortuantely for women to be 'extra'aggresive' when they get promoted to prove that thery are as as good and tough as their male counterparts.

I find all aspects of Ambition pretty shoddy irrespective of their gender.

Are you perhaps - Ambitous ?

Have you noticed that it always leaves you feeling unsatisfied ?

Like an itch you cannot scratch ?

So - Away with Ambition !
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 31 March 2009, 14:36.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Give her 5 years and she’ll be CEO of a merchant bank.
    I can't stand people who won't accept when they've made a mistake and try and go on a face saving offensive as a result

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Not only that but she allocated us a room to put all our kit in then when her boss told her that it shouldn't go into that room she complained to the client manager that we'd put the kit in the room she told us to

Stupid stupid stupid woman
    Give her 5 years and she’ll be CEO of a merchant bank.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    cleaner
    Not only that but she allocated us a room to put all our kit in then when her boss told her that it shouldn't go into that room she complained to the client manager that we'd put the kit in the room she told us to

Stupid stupid stupid woman

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    There's one here who's a facilities manager and she's notorious for being extremely rude, obnoxious and unpleasant.

We've been given the all clear to ignore her and walk away mid sentence if she gives us any more grief.

I wouldn't call her ambitious just gratuitously unpleasant. And she loves me for cracking the glass in one of the meeting rooms with a pallet truck
    cleaner

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    There's one here who's a facilities manager and she's notorious for being extremely rude, obnoxious and unpleasant.

We've been given the all clear to ignore her and walk away mid sentence if she gives us any more grief.

I wouldn't call her ambitious just gratuitously unpleasant. And she loves me for cracking the glass in one of the meeting rooms with a pallet truck

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    My golden rule of contracting is
    Never ever work for a female or asian manager

To prove that they are worthy of the post
    they will push you hard and work you to death.

Having fun under that bridge?

Leave a comment:

• Torran
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post

yes, yes as they are all the same

eejit.

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by stingman123 View Post
    most of the decent managers i've worked with of either sex have always been contractors. Permie managers tend to be smug as well as arrogant, wheresas the contract management "go that extra mile" (sorry for the permie speak)
    I'd agree with that too - contractor PM's (like any contractor) don't have to worry (as much!) about the slimey politics of big corps.

They enjoy having the word "manager" in their title, and are trying to get as much power as they can.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    reminds me of a hopeless PM I had once, who happened to be a woman.

Totally useless at the job so she was, and she was a contractor too.

but the oddest part about her was she had all the mannerisms of a 14 year old. huffy, made faces when things weren't going her way, stood with her mobile phone checking in the way kids do, phone in hand, staring at it intently.

(waiting for comment along the lines of "aren't all women like that?")

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    My girly (the senior police officer type) has just been promoted and I agree with the first part, that when they are good they are very very good, but disagree with the second part, because when she's really bad: she's better...
    I know a chap who dated one of the few women to have reached the board of a blue chip corporation. Apparently she was a fiery dictator on the workfloor and a bit of a ‘sub’ in the bedroom, if you catch my drift.

Obviously, I shan't name him or her; wouldn't be fair (privacy and all that), but is there a causal link? Are many of those bitchy female managers complete sexslaves at home?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
    When they are good, they are very very good
    But when they are bad they are horrid!
    My girly (the senior police officer type) has just been promoted and I agree with the first part, that when they are good they are very very good, but disagree with the second part, because when she's really bad: she's better...

Leave a comment:

• stingman123
    replied
    Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
    Like my kids!

most of the decent managers i've worked with of either sex have always been contractors. Permie managers tend to be smug as well as arrogant, wheresas the contract management "go that extra mile" (sorry for the permie speak)

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    I've only ever worked under one female project manager and she was the best of all, also a contractor, and commanded tremendous respect. In fact, most managers that I have worked under I have had tremendous respect for.
    Perhaps I have been lucky !!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X