• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Private School

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Private School"

Collapse

• Scary
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I took up the bazooka.
    Never been a fan of traditional Greek music.

Edit: Oh, not the Bouzouki, the Bazooka http://users.aristotle.net/~russjohn/burns.html
    Last edited by Scary; 31 March 2009, 14:03.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Ah yes, a classical education is a good thing, but I don’t understand how being thrown in an icy lake and having my head rammed up against a boiling hot heater pipe by a prefect really helped me in life, apart from persuading me to take up weights training.
    There you are, you've answered your own question.

I took up the bazooka.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Yup, and no regrets, because a Classical education has enabled me to hold my own in discussions, and given me an enduring love of literature, history and culture.
    Ah yes, a classical education is a good thing, but I don’t understand how being thrown in an icy lake and having my head rammed up against a boiling hot heater pipe by a prefect really helped me in life, apart from persuading me to take up weights training.

Leave a comment:

• crimdon
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Thankfully not, but if she's up for a bit of the old soapy *** ****, then I've got a brown paper bag & a bar of soap ready...
    Here is the very package for you then.....

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03...smith_package/

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    I went to a couple of independent schools before I was 12, then did the "important" years in a state comprehensive. The first independent school was a boarding school when I was 7-10 years old and my parents were working overseas. That was a great place and I loved every minute (nearly). The second school was just horrendously old-fashioned, verging on Dickensian! I doubt I ever learned a thing of any value there and I asked to move. The comprehensive was a good move.

One of my own children goes to an independent school now and he loves the place. It's perfect for him. Two of my other boys are more suited to the state schools and are happy there and would hate to be moved (actually, one of them's finished now, but he would have hated to be moved at the time). Not sure about my youngest yet, but he's the smartest of them all (not a big challenge) and might even get into the grammar school near us, which is free but more like a fee-paying school. Big competition to get in there though.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    No. Mrs BP did though : seemed to do her alot of good. She describes it as giving one a key to lots of doors.

BTW where is the poll?

Leave a comment:

• lightng
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    No need, I passed my 11-plus and was creamed off.
    Me m8 Dave sed he wud av bin a doctor but for 1 hegsam. It was his 11-plus innit.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    ^^ WSBS

(What ShaunBoy Said)

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    No need, I passed my 11-plus and was creamed off.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Yup, and no regrets, because a Classical education has enabled me to hold my own
    Fnarr fnarr!!

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Yup, and no regrets, because a Classical education has enabled me to hold my own in discussions, and given me an enduring love of literature, history and culture.

It's easy to say that such an education would make one more intelligent, but that's a fallacy.

It just means I have more knowledge on some some subjects than perhaps those studying at a comprehensive may have.

That's no fault of their own, either. It's the fault of the system.

I believe all schools should aim high and teach a Classic education system to all, not just the few.

Art, Literature and Culture should not be the reserve of those taught to appreciate them, and everyone should be given an equal opportunity.

Leave a comment:

• crimdon
    replied
    I'm sure I've watched that video...
    Are you married to Jaquie Smith?

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    I'm sure I've watched that video...
    Claim for it on expenses?

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Yup

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    [QUOTE=FSM with Cheddar;809083]
    DeveloperDeveloperDeveloper South West is being held at Queen's College on Saturday 23rd May. Linky
    [QUOTE]

Sounds good, though I won't be going. Too many memories of "gorillas in the mist"!

No, only joking. Not back from Spain until Easter now. Enjoy if you go.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X