• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What has poor old Gordon got right?"

Collapse

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    It didn't stop the house debt thing in Ireland
    AtW puts me in mind of someone who'd like everyone on his street to give away their houses and live in a commune.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    UK should have joined euro from start, that would have prevented huge house debt bubble and also raise in costs due to devalued pound when the rest of Europe gets deflation.
    It didn't stop the house debt thing in Ireland

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    What has poor old Gordon got right?
    He managed to become Prime Minister by hereditary means.

Ironic he should now be dictating to the Windsors the gender & religion of their hereditary followers.

Leave a comment:

• adestor
    replied
    **** all, that's what.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Gordon was good at making Tony Blair look a good prime minister.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by the_duderama View Post
    Minimum wage.

.. If i was on the dole and was offered a job for £1 an hour what do you think i'd do?
    Go straight back to it?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    UK should have joined euro from start, that would have prevented huge house debt bubble and also raise in costs due to devalued pound when the rest of Europe gets deflation.
    You are just not getting economics UK style:

1. huge housing bubble is good, it makes people feel rich.
    2. huge debt is good, it keeps banking profitable.
    3. huge house price crash is good, it helps first-time buyers get on the ladder.
    4. devalued pound is good, it helps exports.
    5. price increases are good, it makes people work harder.

In Britain, everything is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Darren@UptonAccountants View Post
    The VAT Flat Rate Scheme.....that's it, nothing else!
    Surely accountants benefit from Tolley's Guide being twice as big as when he started?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by the_duderama View Post
    Minimum wage.

I remember the days of people getting paid £1 per hour, security guards, Hair Dressers, etc. If i was on the dole and was offered a job for £1 an hour what do you think i'd do?
    Yes, that's not a bad one.

It's still not high enough for some people though. Except Poles.

Leave a comment:

• Darren@UptonAccountants
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Which made me wonder: from when he became chancellor to the present day, what has Gordon Brown actually done right?
    The VAT Flat Rate Scheme.....that's it, nothing else!

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Go away. That argument is well and truly lost.

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    So you're still a dork then?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    His suits are quite nice. Not sure about the red tie thing.
    In a Compo after a night sleeping rough way......

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    His suits are quite nice. Not sure about the red tie thing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X