• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Laptop from US

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Laptop from US"

Collapse

• stingman123
    replied
    I've had a few imported electrical goods from the US and I just get the sender to write "returned as D.O.A" on the package, never had any problems

Leave a comment:

• Foxy Moron
    replied
    I have some experience of exporting/importing. The above could work, but also as likely to get slapped with import duty and VAT or turn up knackered.
    I'd wait until it becomes available here.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    How much does it cost to get a mate out there?

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    I've never done this, but I believe it is possible to get round this by getting a mate out there to send it to you...they need to remove it from the packaging and send it as either a gift, or with some cover note saying words to the effect of "here's your XXX that you accidentally left behind".

I wouldn't recommend any such behaviour of course.

Leave a comment:

• Foxy Moron
    replied
    Yeah, import duty is > 30% IIRC. Then it will probably get lost in the post or smashed to pieces.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by denver2k View Post
    Hi guys,

Has anyone bought a laptop from american website. Im interested in HP TouchSmart which hasnt been launched here yet. Can i order online from US and get it delivered here.

Has anyone did that before ?
    yep do remember to grease up when you go to the post office to collect it.

Leave a comment:

• denver2k
    replied
    ahh right....its a shame....thanks anyways

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Customs will have a field day. Kerrrrrching!

Also, the power adapter might not work, there won't be a £ sign on the keyboard and other surprises might be instore (like not wanting to play UK DVD's).

Leave a comment:

• denver2k
    started a topic Laptop from US

Laptop from US

Hi guys,

Has anyone bought a laptop from american website. Im interested in HP TouchSmart which hasnt been launched here yet. Can i order online from US and get it delivered here.

Has anyone did that before ?

Working...
X