• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Burglar Alarms

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Burglar Alarms"

Collapse

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Freudian slip....= smart water

Leave a comment:

• Torran
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    True, get some of that cool water stuff from the plod
    Davidoff?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    True, get some of that cool water stuff from the plod too and.. Get a Beware of the dog sign. Burglars want the easy steal.

Leave a comment:

• Pickle2
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    Okay, maybe I'm giving too much respect to the average burglar,
    Unless you have some valuable works of art hanging from the walls of your country house, then yes, you are. In fact, the mere presence of an alarm (get a bell box with a little flashing LED to indicate its real- they come solor powered) will be enough to put off most crack inspired robbers.

Why bother with you when they can go next door to the place without an alarm?

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied
    Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post
    nothing beats a well trained dog
    Two well trained dogs?

Or in my case one well trained and one mad one!

Use to be a BA for the Alarm Receiving Centre for ADT, my tip, make sure you have a couple of keyholders contactable. No good you receiving a text saying your alarm is going off if you are 80 miles away or on holiday.

If you did want it monitored you can have keyholder contact only, saves all the nasty false alarms.

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    dont use ADT - the system is a rip off!

Get yourself a good unit and only use dual tec sensors and also a auto dialler that offer remote mobile control and alerting

I went through an exhaustive process and you realise just how bad this companies are when it comes to value and cost.

I have a pretty good system set up with a excellent Panel and Key Pad and around 6 dual tec sensors and autodialler - never had a false alarm and I can also remotely control it off my phone - and my cctv system alerts me to anyone on my door step or round the back of the house

Leave a comment:

• NetwkSupport
    replied
    nothing beats a well trained dog

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Cheers for the comments folks. I have the adt guyround this afternoon to spec it out and give me a quote. I've thought about the DIY ones but given the timescales I have to play with and my inability in all things DIY it's not an option. Also for my peace of mind and that of my wifes while I'm working away I'd rather have one installed by sombody who knows what they are doing and not me! My accountant is going to try to get half the cost met my by company also. He doesn't know if they will go for it but if we don't try then we won't know.

Leave a comment:

• FSM with Cheddar
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    I might admit I never gave the wireless systems a second thought because of what I considered to be an obvious flaw - surely the wireless signals can be interrupted/jammed.
    They have jamming detection built in, so that will trigger the alarm.

I hear Strawberry is the worst jam.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by grey_lady View Post
    Screwfix sell the Yale wireless system that calls you when its triggered, you can reset it over the phone if you have to. Costs a couple of hundred if you dont mind installing it yourself.
    I might admit I never gave the wireless systems a second thought because of what I considered to be an obvious flaw - surely the wireless signals can be interrupted/jammed.

Okay, maybe I'm giving too much respect to the average burglar, but mobile phone jammers can be bought over the internet - surely a modified very of one of them would do the trick.

I have two burglar alarms. One with a big bell and the other with a big bark and even bigger teeth.

Leave a comment:

• grey_lady
    replied
    Screwfix sell the Yale wireless system that calls you when its triggered, you can reset it over the phone if you have to. Costs a couple of hundred if you dont mind installing it yourself.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Confucius say :

Man who desire little and have even less, have nothing to lose.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Get one of those systems that completely blows your house up into bits if anyone breaks in, like Gene Hackman's off of Enemy of the State. They look well good.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Before you do a DIY alarm, check with your insurance.
    You may find you only get a discount if its an "official" recognised alarm.
    We got a Chubb and in last house had Banham. Only problem is annual service charges are a ripoff.

Leave a comment:

• GreenerGrass
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    Has anybody any recommendations? I was thinking of getting the ADT sales guy around to spec out our house and quote us for the alarm. I'm quite keen on the monitoring side of things which they offer given that I'm not going to be around too much over the next 3 months. Does anybody know of any similar companies?
    Give ADT a try Tony, got one of their wireless systems and no complaints with them so far. They come out to check it up every so often, and add new features like gypsy detectors and stuff.
    It's a deterrent, it's monitored and it makes enough noise that they shouldn't stay around. No false alarms so far.

Must be hit and miss with the engineers, our guy was OK.

None of this is any substitute for living in a cul de sac though

Leave a comment:

Working...
X