• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "It was bound to happen. Home office to snoop social networking sites"

Collapse

• TheBigD
    replied
    I seem to remember a case of a council using anti terror laws to tail parents home in order to find out where they really lived. Apparently some were using false addresses in an attempt to get their children into certain schools.

The parents are obviously being a bit cheeky, but just goes to show how these laws will get abused.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    This:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5979452.ece

is why this sort of legislation should not be permitted. Introduce anything like this and it will be abused.

Surveillance powers originally designed to counter the threat of terrorism and safeguard national security have been used by local councils more than 10,000 times over the past five years - often for “crimes” as minor as littering, it emerged today.

Details disclosed under the Freedom of Information Act showed that councils in England and Wales used powers under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act (Ripa) to investigate offences ranging from dog fouling to taxi overcharging.

The Liberal Democrats, who obtained the details, said they represented a fresh erosion of civil liberties and warned that Ripa was becoming a “snooper’s charter”. The party has published a Freedom Bill to wind back measures passed under Labour that undermine civil liberties.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    You could also have said that I was paranoid about a muslim attack happening, but it did happen on 7/7. I am still paranoid about future attacks, as is our HMG who again today announced that a 'dirty' bomb could well happen soon. It's being paranoid that keeps me away from these situations and hopefully will keep me safe, while the naive will unfortunately die just going about their work in London.
    If you're that worried you should probably stay away from;

Cars
    Buses
    Airplanes (in fact most forms of mechanised transport)
    Shops
    Parks

In fact, just stay in your house.

If you could sever your broadband connection whilst you're at it that would be lovely.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Just remember to put those nice pics of yours on Facebook.
    Keep going. Its really working.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    I never really worry about this - if it is going to happen it is going to happen.

The sooner you realsie you have no control over the majority of things in life which could affect you the sooner you can get on with living your life.

Remember the Bomb in Warrrington about 10/15 years ago that killed those 2 small kids (RIP) I was in that vicinty 15 minutes before the bomb went off.

Many different items could have conspired to put me in that vicinity 15 minutes later - they did not - I live to post on here today.

I mean I look out of the office window and see one of these new posters

It has a picture of a wheelie bin with a number of bomb making ingredients in it and the tag line is (why they did not close the bin lid so the contents could not be seen I do not know)
    " Thse chemicals will not be used in a bomb becuase a neighbour reported the dumped containers"

So what do now need to rifle through all our neighbours bins to see if they are making bombs.

The whole point of terrorism is to make people paranoid and scared, to divide the nation and make them suspiscious of each other and with the government having knee jerk reactions over all sort of pointless issues they are playing completely into Bin Ladens hands.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    Nice try troll.

Just remember to put those nice pics of yours on Facebook.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    You could also have said that I was paranoid about a muslim attack happening, but it did happen on 7/7. I am still paranoid about future attacks, as is our HMG who again today announced that a 'dirty' bomb could well happen soon. It's being paranoid that keeps me away from these situations and hopefully will keep me safe, while the naive will unfortunately die just going about their work in London.
    Nice try troll.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    yes

Leave a comment:

• Coalman
    replied
    ... because of my political beliefs perhaps ? Why did the state assassinate David Kelly ? Why would a future muslim government wish to murder homosexuals, or would you trust the BNP not to attack muslims etc etc etc.

Do you trust this government or any other government ? I prefer to keep a low profile and just to get on with my life, but I do fear civil war in due course of muslim versus christian. Is that paranoid ? Perhaps.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    ... because of my political beliefs perhaps ? Why did the state assassinate David Kelly ? Why would a future muslim government wish to murder homosexuals, or would you trust the BNP not to attack muslims etc etc etc.

Do you trust this government or any other government ? I prefer to keep a low profile and just to get on with my life, but I do fear civil war in due course of muslim versus christian. Is that paranoid ? Perhaps.
    yes

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by Coalman View Post
    I wasn't going to bother responding to this but ...

God you are paranoid!
    Why on earth would the gubberment want to assasinate you?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I removed my details from Friends Reunited years ago, and I would never put my details on the internet because I simply do not trust our authorities. Those that put personal details on sites such as Facebook are incredibly naive IMO. One of my nieces even has her telephone number on there.
    Does she have any piccies?

Leave a comment:

• Coalman
    replied
    I am quite happy to give info that is required by law, but to volunteer other personal info that in extreme circumstances could lead to violence/assassination/stalking by the state or other parties is pretty stupid IMO.
    I wasn't going to bother responding to this but ...

God you are paranoid!
    Why on earth would the gubberment want to assasinate you?

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Right, so you are worried about the authorities finding out who you are?
    Fu<k me - ever filled in a tax return, council tax, census, etc...
    They already know who you are!

Now if you were worried about identity fraud I could understand.
    I don't copy and paste the contents of my address book onto my tax return, nor send them photos of last year's family trip to crete either. Why should the government have access to this information?

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Right, so you are worried about the authorities finding out who you are?
    Fu<k me - ever filled in a tax return, council tax, census, etc...
    They already know who you are!

Now if you were worried about identity fraud I could understand.

I am quite happy to give info that is required by law, but to volunteer other personal info that in extreme circumstances could lead to violence/assassination/stalking by the state or other parties is pretty stupid IMO.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X