• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Proposals for a "world" currency"

Collapse

• denver2k
    replied
    Go back to good old fashioned "Gold" as our money. Use real commodities. No fake wealth generation "from thin air".... Thats the way forward....

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    Actually we already have a World currency, it's called the Dollar ($).
    Just China stirring it.
    Dollar is not a real "world currency" because one country controls the production of it

That said, we will not see a real world currency in our life time, would say good 100+ years until circumstances (read politics) are somewhat right for such a currency for international transactions and probably another 100 years before we would see man on street using it

And my bet is/when it happens it will be called "credit"

Leave a comment:

• denver2k
    replied
    Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    It's economic news. In CUK terms therefore, it is by definition bad for the UK.

Actually this isn't news. China has been trying to reduce its reliance on the dollar for months. And it isn't the only country tying to do that.
    Unlike UK which rely too much on Yanks and good old Gordon

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    What does that mean for the UK?
    It's economic news. In CUK terms therefore, it is by definition bad for the UK.

Actually this isn't news. China has been trying to reduce its reliance on the dollar for months. And it isn't the only country tying to do that.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    What does that mean for the UK?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan.../D97906R00.htm

Doomed.

Edit : From Saturday

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...nt_7625684.htm
    Last edited by suityou01; 31 March 2009, 14:04.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Or I just kant spell coz I iz fick
    I liked my explanation.

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Actually we already have a World currency, it's called the Dollar ($).
    Just China stirring it.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Nice Freudian slip on 'gilts'!
    Or I just kant spell coz I iz fick

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Heard the auctioning of guilts has failed.

reality bomb ticking.
    It's hardly surpising though, when the governor of the BOE basically says
    "OI GORDON - STOPPPPPPP!! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!!!!".

Not exactly likely to fill people with confidence is it?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied

reality bomb ticking.
    Nice Freudian slip on 'gilts'!

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied

reality bomb ticking.
    No - you cannot ....don;t even think about it

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied

reality bomb ticking.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    As Zeity will affirm. The currency of choice has to be the Quatloo....

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Gordon Brown, prime minister of the United Kingdom and a fiscally minded leader, stated, “As some want, we could close our markets—for capital, financial services, trade and for labour—and therefore reduce the risks of globalization…But that would reduce global growth, deny us the benefits of global trade and confine millions to global poverty.”

“Or we could view the threats and challenges we face today as the difficult birth-pangs of a new global order—and our task now as nothing less than making the transition through a new internationalism to the benefits of an expanding global society—not muddling through as pessimists but making the necessary adjustment to a better future and setting the new rules for this new global order”

(BBC).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X