• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Waffe....

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Waffe...."

Collapse

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by foritisme View Post
    Why do universities encourage waffle !!

Just had my first assignment back and lost marks because I didn't write the correct number of words. Why do you have to write 200 words on a question when 50 would suffice !
    Originally posted by Smurficus View Post
    Doesn't bode well, just submitted an assignment asking for 1000 words and finished all the pointless rambling I could in 450.
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Quite likely you're not as clever as you think and you missed some subtlety in the question. So you thought it was simpler than it really was.
    Or you're doing a crappy course at an ex-polytechnic.
    Hate to say it but Sasguru is probably right. You probably haven't considered the question enough and haven't provided a full enough answer.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Maybe I am on the course to learn more. It's actually an OU course in Astronomy.
    surely if you want waffles on that course it should be gastronomy

igmc

Leave a comment:

• foritisme
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Quite likely you're not as clever as you think and you missed some subtlety in the question. So you thought it was simpler than it really was.
    Maybe I am on the course to learn more. It's actually an OU course in Astronomy.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    there was a competition once to write a story with a beginning a middle and an end in 50 words. the winner went something like this, (from memory so dont pan me)

Susie was exited about the prospect of her wedding. Everyone would be there, her nan, grandad, her sister Joan, 15 years older , all the cousins. Only her mother, who had died bringing her into the world, would be missing.
    Joan, I do wish mother could be there.
    'She will be'

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Actually I wrote 175. I will try to keep up as well

Leave a comment:

• foritisme
    replied
    Actually I wrote 175. I will try to keep up as well

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Okay, what's the minimum number of letters needed to write a meaningful essay comprising 50 words?
    I can do it in 10 (or 7... tulip 8... bollox 10..... OK 13... Ahhhh 14)

Leave a comment:

• foritisme
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    The requirement was for 200 words if you only wrote 50 you have not completed the job to the requirements stated.
    If you think you know better than your tutor then why are you doing the course?

No, I wrote 200 words of waffle when 50 would have conveyed the answer. Do keep up.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    you are still in a bad mood aren't you ?

Is it that obvious

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Okay, what's the minimum number of letters needed to write a meaningful essay comprising 50 words?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    The requirement was for 200 words if you only wrote 50 you have not completed the job to the requirements stated.
    you are still in a bad mood aren't you ?

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Why do universities encourage waffle !!

Just had my first assignment back and lost marks because I didn't write the correct number of words. Why do you have to write 200 words on a question when 50 would suffice !

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Why do you have to write 200 words on a question when 50 would suffice !
    To prepare you for real life when nobody actually wants a real answer to anything they just want enough obfusication bullshine and jargon twaddle to be able to provide a smoke screen that hides the fact that they don't actually know what they are twaddling on about.... if they make it obscure enough they can appear to be knowlegable because the reader spends so long filtering out the dross that the fact that there is no substance underneath the carp is hidden.

Or (more succinctly)
    Thats Life!!

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Why use a large word when a dimunitive will suffice ?

Leave a comment:

• Smurficus
    replied
    Doesn't bode well, just submitted an assignment asking for 1000 words and finished all the pointless rambling I could in 450.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X