• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Retrain to SQL DBA

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Retrain to SQL DBA"

Collapse

• qwertyjjj
    replied
    So, I could do some training in ASP.NET other than what I know already about that and PHP or use one of the teach yourself books?
    I might struggle with some of the technical questions in interviews.
    Also, a lot of people seem to be doing C# anyway as you can write both Windows and webpages with that?

Leave a comment:

• crimdon
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    If you mean the Business Objects BI products - then you'll be spotted a mile off!
    Sql Server is a good place to start and the demand seems to be increasing.
    Good luck
    I've had a little bit of Business Obects experience but was back with version 6. I wouldn't attempt to blag my way into it now.

I'll have a look at SSRS etc over the summer when I get sick of fishing. Looks like I'll be benched anyway from the end of the month.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by crimdon View Post
    I was thinking on initialy sticking with the Microsoft toolset just as SSRS and SSAS. Blagging my way into anyway like SAP might be difficult in the current downturn without relevant experience.

SSRS in SQL Server 2008 looks really good now. I've got it running here on a test server.

If you mean the Business Objects BI products - then you'll be spotted a mile off!
    The Sql Server BI tools are a good place to start and the demand seems to be increasing.
    Good luck
    Last edited by Pogle; 19 March 2009, 11:31. Reason: illiteracy

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    The seems to be a problem with the Microsoft world in general. Any monkey can do a Exchange migration or installation and rates seemto reflect this.
    Well, I took "pure SQL" to mean literally that, SQL, not Microsoft-specific. (I know that when the OP says "SQL DBA" he means SQL Server DBA)

Leave a comment:

• qwertyjjj
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Aargh! You don't let programmers create your database piecemeal! The programmer requests creation of the tables, and the DBA verifies and executes the request.

Pure SQL? I think it exists but I'm not sure it pays more than shelf-stacking. Practically everybody in IT nowadays could claim to have SQL experience.
    No, but that is the way most companies do it. It's why there's such a problem everywhere. Most places I have been (non financial), the DBA sits there scratching his arse just executing scripts and occasionally wondering why queries are timing out.

So, I could do some training in ASP.NET other than what I know already about that and PHP or use one of the teach yourself books?
    I might struggle with some of the technical questions in interviews.
    Also, a lot of people seem to be doing C# anyway as you can write both Windows and webpages with that?

Leave a comment:

• Svalbaard
    replied
    I was thinking on initialy sticking with the Microsoft toolset just as SSRS and SSAS. Blagging my way into anyway like SAP might be difficult in the current downturn without relevant experience.

SSRS in SQL Server 2008 looks really good now. I've got it running here on a test server.
    I've been thinking about looking into, and getting a good overview of Oracle ERP (I think it might be the e-business suite) but haven't seen too much demand for it from what I've seen in the ERP world. But then I focus mainly on SAP so may have my blinkers on a little too tight...

Not sure how it fits into the current Oracle lineup. Anyone here work with Oracle ERP that can give a view?
    Last edited by Svalbaard; 19 March 2009, 11:22.

Leave a comment:

• crimdon
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Pure SQL? I think it exists but I'm not sure it pays more than shelf-stacking. Practically everybody in IT nowadays could claim to have SQL experience.
    The seems to be a problem with the Microsoft world in general. Any monkey can do a Exchange migration or installation and rates seemto reflect this.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by qwertyjjj View Post
    IME, the DBA is only in charge of performance and maintaining the data. The programmer creates all the tables, stored procedures, etc. because they know what is going on with the program. How can it be any other way?

However, what I could be interested in is a pure SQL job without having to design any front ends with .NET, etc. but I don't think there's many of these jobs?
    Aargh! You don't let programmers create your database piecemeal! The programmer requests creation of the tables, and the DBA verifies and executes the request.

Leave a comment:

• crimdon
    replied
    Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
    Good move. BI and the whole self sevice datamart thing is going to really take off. Any particular flavour of BI tooling? SAP BI and the integration of it with non-SAP apps is still big, and from what I've heard from colleagues the mySAP suite is picking up steam in the SME market which could be a good moneyspinner for contractors as these companies generally don't have the in house know-how to leverage best results.

Leave a comment:

• qwertyjjj
    replied
    How about experience doing server specs and installations? Or maybe getting more involved in the Windows environment. In my present contract I sopent a lot of time baselining the database servers and documenting them.

I'm looking to move on from being to more BI as I feel there is little about and its a not exactly an exciting job.
    Nope, nothing.
    So, it sounds like it's not worth training in DBA skills.
    All my SQL skills are uselss unless I have .NET programming skills.
    So, stick with technical BA and SQL?
    All my UML skills, etc. are also useless because most BA jobs don't require them, it's the domain of a Systems Analyst.

Leave a comment:

• crimdon
    replied
    I have experience of performance tuning stored procedures, DTS, backups, security admin, permissions, etc. but just like any SQL developer would, not specific to DBAs.
    How about experience doing server specs and installations? Or maybe getting more involved in the Windows environment. In my present contract I sopent a lot of time baselining the database servers and documenting them.

I'm looking to move on from being to more BI as I feel there is little about and its a not exactly an exciting job.

Leave a comment:

• Svalbaard
    replied
    Thats right enough. A lot of places using SQL Server appear to wants the developers to act as the dba. Thats why I'm planning to move more into BI
    Good move. BI and the whole self sevice datamart thing is going to really take off. Any particular flavour of BI tooling? SAP BI and the integration of it with non-SAP apps is still big, and from what I've heard from colleagues the mySAP suite is picking up steam in the SME market which could be a good moneyspinner for contractors as these companies generally don't have the in house know-how to leverage best results.

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    In most companies each dba supports approx 10 developers
    Take a guess who is more in demand

Leave a comment:

• qwertyjjj
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    Do you have this experience?
    I have experience of performance tuning stored procedures, DTS, backups, security admin, permissions, etc. but just like any SQL developer would, not specific to DBAs.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    IME, the DBA is only in charge of performance and maintaining the data.
    Do you have this experience?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X