• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Swindon

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Swindon"

Collapse

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
    Milton Keynes!?
    Yes

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    The borough of Swindon, I scarcely need remind the reader, lies at a distance of approximately 100 miles West of London, and the light and heat it receives from the sun is barely half of that received by Staines. Yet so vain is man, and so blinded by his vanity, that no writer, up to the very end of the twenty first century, expressed any idea that intelligent life might have developed there, or indeed at all, beyond its earthly level.

And yet, they came.

(Adapted from a novel written by a chap called Wells)
    Nonsense.

The chances of anything coming from Swindon - are a million to one.

He said.
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 12 March 2009, 16:03.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    The borough of Swindon, I scarcely need remind the reader, lies at a distance of approximately 100 miles West of London, and the light and heat it receives from the sun is barely half of that received by Staines. Yet so vain is man, and so blinded by his vanity, that no writer, up to the very end of the twenty first century, expressed any idea that intelligent life might have developed there, or indeed at all, beyond its earthly level.

And yet, they came.

(Adapted from a novel written by a chap called Wells)
    Last edited by TimberWolf; 12 March 2009, 15:56. Reason: East is East and West is West, not East is West

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    The lights in the room dimmed as the talk turned to Swindon ...

Leave a comment:

• thelace
    replied
    Originally posted by Foxy Moron View Post
    There's one a bit similar to that in High Wycombe.
    http://img19.picoodle.com/img/img19/...cm_b1a7471.jpg
    Nah, that's similar but far less frightening....

Theres no island in the middle of the Swindon one, just a great open space.

The only way to approach it is to pick your exit and aim for it! Then put your foot hard down.

It's not a coincidence that the fire and ambulance stations are 100 yards from it. And it always seems to be covered in broken glass and wreckage!

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I once heard after you get in it's difficult to get back out - at the very least you'll be dizzy if you're lucky to escape back to the A4, don't do it.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Foxy Moron View Post
    Wow, someone managed to land a red luft balloon right in the middle of it. Acurrate mapping software.

99 red balloons, 99, na,na,na. nanannananana...

Leave a comment:

• Scary
    replied
    It's really simple, it's just 2 roundabouts one inside the other, the inner roundabout goes anticlockwise and the outer one goes clockwise.

Leave a comment:

• Foxy Moron
    replied

My favourite road sign is on the M40, wonder how many people have crashed looking at it?

http://www.cbrd.co.uk/motorway/m40/photo/05.jpg

Leave a comment:

• thelace
    replied
    10 years ago, if you weren't at your desk by 8am, you may as well not bother, the place was gridlocked....

As for the magic roundabout.... the first time you see the sign, you think they're taking the p1ss!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Schild_db.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Scary
    replied
    The magic roundabout is a work of genius.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    The road leading to the big car plant just off the M4 junction used to get quite busy, but I gather it's got a lot better recently.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    my first contract had me visiting Swindon, to see the Royal Mail Large Sorting Machines.

what a poo hole.

Leave a comment:

• Pickle2
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Anyone from Swindon? What do you think of your roads?

I drove there last Saturday for the football. The traffic down the A420 went from free-flowing to cr@p as soon as I entered the town. I parked up in one of the rabbit-warren chav estates, then spent 20 minutes trying to find my way out again afterwards because of the estate's one-way system. I now hear from my fellow fans their tales of a Magic Roundabout that makes the Hemel one seem like just a slight bend in the road in comparison.
    Milton Keynes!?

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    All roads lead to Swindon.

They tell me its lovely in the SpringTime.

Oh no its not ! - cried the children of Gong

Leave a comment:

Working...
X