• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is NATO planning on surrendering anytime soon..."

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Turion View Post
    are politely asking to be allowed

French President Nicolas Sarkozy has announced his country is to return to Nato's military command, reversing four decades of self-imposed exile.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7937666.stm
    It was Sarkozy urging the people of France.

Leave a comment:

• Rantor
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    A sad day for La France.

Their absence from NATO provided a counter-balance from the European perspective.

Eh Yhey stropped off in the sixties thanks to de gaulle's nationalistic posturing.

On a similar vein, his reasons for vetoing Britain's common market entry were equally self serving.

In all, maybe not a bad thing from the frenchiies perspective but hardly a european counter-balance.

Leave a comment:

• BlightyBoy
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Why would you assume that?
    I thought they were aswell, given that we liberated most of their asses at the end of WWII.

Still, I guess this means that France will have to revert to "illegally" selling arms to aggressors, rather than opting out of NATO to legally sell arms to aggressors.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    I didn't know they had gone either.

I just assumed that all EU members were automatically part of NATO.
    Why would you assume that?

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    It looks like France are being urged to rejoin NATO?

A sad day for La France.

Their absence from NATO provided a counter-balance from the European perspective.
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 12 March 2009, 09:24.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    And eat escargot et ail at least once per week.
    Stripey t-shirts and berets?

Leave a comment:

• Pickle2
    replied
    Or maybe they know something that we dont about the upcomming plans to drag the western economies out of depression.

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Originally posted by bodnobal View Post
    I've heard part of the agreement is that all NATO signed up countries have got to speak French in 5 years as their main language.
    And eat escargot et ail at least once per week.

Leave a comment:

• bodnobal
    replied
    I've heard part of the agreement is that all NATO signed up countries have got to speak French in 5 years as their main language.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    I didn't know they had gone either.

I just assumed that all EU members were automatically part of NATO.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Maybe they're hoping the Yanks will give them a bailout in return, or it's some deal along those lines.

Leave a comment:

• thelace
    replied
    Didn't know they'd gone

Didn't miss them....

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    are politely asking to be allowed

French President Nicolas Sarkozy has announced his country is to return to Nato's military command, reversing four decades of self-imposed exile.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7937666.stm

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    started a topic Is NATO planning on surrendering anytime soon...

Is NATO planning on surrendering anytime soon...

Working...
X