• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Log Cabin

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Log Cabin"

Collapse

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Torran View Post
    A9 North of Dornoch Firth looks quite craggy. Never been up that far I'm sad to say
    It's not bad but it always seems to me like the entrance hallway to the real thing, my beloved west coast that I will not be retiring to.

Leave a comment:

• Torran
    replied
    A9 North of Dornoch Firth looks quite craggy. Never been up that far I'm sad to say

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    There's always mid Wales... not much in the way of population, but the scenery isn't so rugged...
    I suppose what really gets me about NW Scotland is the fjords: craggy mountains right down to the sea. Wales certainly has its mountains but perhaps keeps them inland, as does Scotland except for the NW coast.

I wonder about NW Spain, or are there any craggy EAST coasts?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Do they have the same midgies in Norway's fjordland? Or the same rugged scenery, and sparse population, anywhere else in Europe that doesn't have a plague of insects?

Leave a comment:

• Torran
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    But alas the east coast lacks the spectacular scenery of the west coast.
    aye true. Only ever go to the West Coast in April early may or late September these days. Less tourists and midgies.

Cairngorms, Highland Perthshire, parts of Fife while not spectacular are extremely beautiful though

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Torran View Post
    Midges can be a real problem from late may to September on the West coast.

Jungle formula applied everyday when we go walking up there.

The east coast is thankfully pretty midge free and they lack the ferocity of their West Coast cousins.
    But alas the east coast lacks the spectacular scenery of the west coast.

Leave a comment:

• Torran
    replied
    Midges can be a real problem from late may to September on the West coast.

Jungle formula applied everyday when we go walking up there.

The east coast is thankfully pretty midge free and they lack the ferocity of their West Coast cousins.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    And I wasn't joking. They do keep them midges a secret otherwise they wouldn't have a tourist industry.
    We went on holiday to the Highlands a few years ago and I'd read up on the midgies and was getting a bit worried. My missus is one of those people that goes, "Stop fretting about it, it'll be fine...", then completely freaks out when it actually happens, so I wanted to be prepared. I even bought some of the legendary Avon Skin-So-Soft, which is claimed to be used by the special forces as the only genuinely effective midgie repellant!

Anyway, got to the place (a log cabin not far from Fort William) and only saw about three midgies the whole time we were there. Unbelievably lucky from what I understand. They have whole books about dealing with midgies in the tourist shops there, so they must be killer when they strike.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by fckvwls View Post
    Genuine suprise. I never realised a bite from them could do that. The idea of midgie's affecting one's property purchasing decisions was a consideration I have always ignored.
    I don't blame you for being surprised. So were we

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    £100K for a garden shed in Scotland? It's not even a big garden shed.

You lot are kidding right?

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Go for it but forget retiring there. Imagine you'll be 60+ living in a log cabin in the cold. No way is that realistic.

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    Scotland's best kept secret, the midges.
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Pardon me if I don't share the joke.
    And I wasn't joking. They do keep them midges a secret otherwise they wouldn't have a tourist industry.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by shoes View Post
    Thats a lot of money for a shed. It's not even a big shed.
    I agree. Am still trying to work out how they would fit 3 bedroms in that as they advertise.

Leave a comment:

• shoes
    replied
    Originally posted by s2budd View Post
    Not this one by any chance?
    http://www.dmhbl.co.uk/index.php?m=p...y_detail&id=84

This is mid-Scotland - Lower highlands and a tourist trap.
    Good location for renting to tourists.
    Thats a lot of money for a shed. It's not even a big shed.

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    replied
    Originally posted by fckvwls View Post
    Savaged by a midgie. I never realised that was possible.
    They hunt in packs.
    Believe me it is very, very possible.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X