• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Jobstats february figures - does not look good out there"

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Iron Condor View Post
    http://jobstats.co.uk/jobstats.d/Rates.html

Average advertised pay rates are up!

This would suggest the low end of the market is being hit harder than the high end.
    I reckon you are right. This is why the really good people have no concepts of recession. They invoice right through them.

Leave a comment:

• Iron Condor
    replied
    http://jobstats.co.uk/jobstats.d/Rates.html

Average advertised pay rates are up!

This would suggest the low end of the market is being hit harder than the high end.

Leave a comment:

• jobstats.co.uk
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    Actually things might not be as bad as they seem.

Jobserve has become more of a fishing ground than a job board, for the mainstream contracts at least. I think the agency model is changing, and for the most part the Hollywood principle is in play ("don't call us, we'll call you"). In other words the dip in JobStats points to less fishing, not less adverts.
    The anecdotal information on this forum suggests that fishing is a big problem at present. Idle agents are the devil's tool(s)

No way of telling for sure but I expect that the percentage of ads we sample that are for fictitious jobs is pretty constant and slightly higher during downturns.

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I'd better sign this extension then.

One of my favourite agents told me last week she's had a massive increase in inquiries from permy redundees.
    That is one of the reasons why the contractor market will also get squeezed. A lot of good permanent staff will be losing their jobs at present. I am just trying to say that the data looks bad so if you are a contractor do not rest on your laurels and assume contract extension will happen or that the next gig will be easy to find. There will be more competition for fewer roles so do everything you can to make sure it is not you left on the bench.
    Last edited by jobstats.co.uk; 2 March 2009, 11:13. Reason: the not he...

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I'd better sign this extension then.

One of my favourite agents told me last week she's had a massive increase in inquiries from permy redundees.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Actually things might not be as bad as they seem.

Jobserve has become more of a fishing ground than a job board, for the mainstream contracts at least. I think the agency model is changing, and for the most part the Hollywood principle is in play ("don't call us, we'll call you"). In other words the dip in JobStats points to less fishing, not less adverts.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Keep up the good work jobstats.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    That's dire.

And I've just booked a ski holiday. Oh dear!

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by jobstats.co.uk View Post
    If not of interest then don't read, and especially don't bother commenting. I am sure the content is of interest to other readers. I have permission from Contractor UK to post here. They have been very interested in the figures during this slump. If you don't care what the market is doing around you then fair play, and I wish you good luck in securing your next contract.
    Unfortunately there isn't a handbag emoticon

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    I never worry -
    Why should I Care ?

Its all going to fade away ...

Leave a comment:

• jobstats.co.uk
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope View Post
    refuctoring???
    Thanks for the support bobhope, only trying to show you all how the market is looking at present.

Try the link. Handy if you are a developer. I am sure project managers could introduce a level of refuctoring to their projects too.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    I like the jobstats posts - better than cybertory posts any day.

refuctoring???

Leave a comment:

• jobstats.co.uk
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    If not of interest then don't read, and especially don't bother commenting. I am sure the content is of interest to other readers. I have permission from Contractor UK to post here. They have been very interested in the figures during this slump. If you don't care what the market is doing around you then fair play, and I wish you good luck in securing your next contract.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jobstats february figures - does not look good out there

Never have we dipped below the Christmas low for the previous year so quickly. Even in the dot-com but the job levels did not dip below the low-point of the Xmas before for the next twelve months. See the graph on the bottom of the home page:

Job Stats

That is for permanent staff though!

Contractor Rates are still showing the dip but not below the festive slump yet.

Really not looking good out there people, if you have a contract do what you can to keep it going, refuctoring is good and you know it.

If you haven't got a contract at the minute then I really do believe that a spell in permanent work or accepting lower rates could be sensible for the next 6-12 months while we see how this pans out.
    Last edited by jobstats.co.uk; 2 March 2009, 09:42. Reason: Double post

Working...
X