• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: The Beaker People

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Beaker People"

Collapse

• thunderlizard
    replied
    I bet the Beaker People did all kinds of exciting things, and would be jolly annoyed if they knew they were now named after their drinking vessels. Perhaps future archaeologists will speculate about the Starbuck People, and what trading goods might have been in their mysterious polystyrene receptacles.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Can't we just ask Beaker? If anyone knows it must be him.

Mind you, he hasn't posted for a while, and I vaguely recall him being banned.
    Not banned http://forums.contractoruk.com/members/beaker.html

However I did drive him insane with my questins on the "ask beaker" thread : he rarely posted after that......

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Can't we just ask Beaker? If anyone knows it must be him.

Mind you, he hasn't posted for a while, and I vaguely recall him being banned.

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    Ah yes, the beaker people. Forerunners of the Tupperware Tribe...
    ... came from Lakeland.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    "You can really do the Brontosaurus" - The Move.

I think all the Beaker people migrated to Glasgow.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I prefer the word Brontosaurus, but to remain correct whilst avoiding having to use the new classification, I say 'the animal that used to be called a Brontosaurus'. A win, win situation.
    I thought that older palaeontologists rebelled, and got Brontosaurus kept?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    We got taught "Boadicea" in school, and "Brontosaurus" for a big, long-necked dinosaur and then they changed them to "Boudica" and "Apatosaurus"...

I prefer the word Brontosaurus, but to remain correct whilst avoiding having to use the new classification, I say 'the animal that used to be called a Brontosaurus'. A win, win situation.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Those beaker cavemen - episode 1

Ogg - 'hey man is this stuff addictive ?'

ug - 'dunno why?'

Ogg - 'that red haired bird over there wants to know'

ug - 'You mean Boudicca ?'

Ogg - 'nooo, the Geordie one next to boudicca'

ug - 'ah the one surrounded by empty beakers with her hair all over the show ?'

Ogg - 'Stiggy Anne, thats her'

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    early use of alcohol cut down on intestinal infection and was a great advance for a civilisation.
    That’s one small slurp for a man, one giant leap forwards for mankind.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    you stole my tupperware joke.
    you absolute turd.

But perhaps he’s right. Maybe they were travelling beaker salespeople who organised parties in people’s villages to try and sell their beakers and of course attract new beaker salespeople into a massive pyramid scheme set up by their chums in Egypt.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    you absolute turd.

You can do one about the Muppets...

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    You just made that up didn't you?
    No, he didn't. They did get all over Europe. Well, at least their beakers did: archaeology has been defined as the study of ancient peoples' rubbish. The alcohol connection sounds probable: early use of alcohol cut down on intestinal infection and was a great advance for a civilisation.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
    Unlikely to be anything to do with Boadicea's bunch seeing as they were giving the Romans an ill fated kicking as recently as about 50-100 AD.
    I think we're supposed to call her "Boudica" now. This is one of those devices they use to ensure that old people become stupid and senile more quickly. We got taught "Boadicea" in school, and "Brontosaurus" for a big, long-necked dinosaur and then they changed them to "Boudica" and "Apatosaurus" and teach those to young people. It's a sort of rebranding scam run buy academics.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    you absolute turd.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X