• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Surviving the Recession"

Collapse

• WageSlave
    replied
    If you want to make big bucks, invest in my production company. Just because the recession is biting doesn't mean people have to give up the old wrist action.

I currently have "Nina's nudie shopping spree" in production. It's bound to be a ratings winner!

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard
    Buy shares in Iceland, Asda, Matalan and Greggs. Nuff said.
    Maybe not, the Icelandic economy is having major problems because that guy is making so much money.

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I've never heard gold bars described as portable before...

Buy yourself a truss before picking one up.
    Property/Land = Non portable
    Gold,Jems,Cash = Portable

Though i have heard of some currencys being classed as "non portable" due to restrictions placed on them by the issueing government.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Invest in booze 'n' fag companies - recession proof.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Buy shares in Iceland, Asda, Matalan and Greggs. Nuff said.

Leave a comment:

• ancient
    replied
    Market Data

Last Updated: Thursday, 06 October, 2005, 19:53 GMT 20:53 UK

price change %
    Brent Crude Oil 58.61 4.74 7.5

West Texas Intermediate Crude Oil 61.20 4.95 7.5

GTIS Forex Gold Index 473.30 8.60 1.9

- At last the oil price appears to be going down (-7.5%) - Perhaps good for Japan, US, and Europe

- Gold is up a little today (+1.9%)

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/f...ew/default.stm
    Last edited by ancient; 6 October 2005, 20:02.

Leave a comment:

• ancient
    replied
    Originally posted by Not So Wise
    During a recession rare (or limited) commoditys like gold always increase in value as people pull out things like the stock market/currency trading and property (as these are normally going down)

During a boom the opasite normally happens
    Yes, but Asia is also a major gold consumer, and a good dose of bird flu could damage the demand side.

This bird flu thing once (if) it hits is going to be a big thing.

Markets can be slow to react, I am thinking of taking my money out of the market.

That said, I would rather hold portable and tangable gold bars, rather than some debt ridden yankee dollars, pounds or euros
    Last edited by ancient; 6 October 2005, 19:09.

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by Not So Wise
    During a recession rare (or limited) commoditys like gold always increase in value as people pull out things like the stock market/currency trading and property (as these are normally going down)

Forget pork bellies or gold. Buy concrete.

China is consuming more than half the world's concrete and consumption is increasing.

Fungus.

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Originally posted by damyarn
    Milan,
    I am just questioning if Gold is a sure bet. I think not.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by damyarn
    You may dream of having gold in a box somewhere and presumably the picture is completed by you parking outside in your flash car with the blonde waiting whilst you nip in a take some out.
    If Milan is from Milan then he won't have a flash car. He'll have a scooter. Fact.

Leave a comment:

• damyarn
    replied
    Milan,
    I am just questioning if Gold is a sure bet. I think not.

Sure, cash will devalue during inflationary periods, IF it is not earning any interest. I tend to put mine somewhere where it earns interest.

You may dream of having gold in a box somewhere and presumably the picture is completed by you parking outside in your flash car with the blonde waiting whilst you nip in a take some out.

Get real. Open a savings account like the rest of us and set up a standing order.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes
    devalue means the amount of cash you have will remain the same but the costs of good and service will rise due to inflation

Milan.
    condescend
    Main Entry: condescend
    Part of Speech: verb
    Definition: talk down to

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    damyarn,

"Why Gold? Is it guaranteed to go up during recessions?
    Why not good old fashioned reliable cash.",

aren't you the guy who got ripped off on ebay ?

you keep your cash and have fun watching it devalue come the recession

devalue means the amount of cash you have will remain the same but the costs of good and service will rise due to inflation

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    who's buying gold to survive the impending recession ?

Milan.
    I already have my stash that I found in switzerland, had some kind of eagle emblem stamped on it and that funny bent cross symbol.

Leave a comment:

• damyarn
    replied
    who's buying gold to survive the impending recession ?

Milan.

Why Gold? Is it guaranteed to go up during recessions?
    Why not good old fashioned reliable cash.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X