• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Disappearing work referees"

Collapse

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post

1. is about to change jibs
    Using a sailor as a reference is not good practice, they're never in.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    My wife is applying to go back to college to do an MA and needs two academic referees from just a few years ago but she can't even find her lecturers any more.
    Has she tried Facebook?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    What kind of freaks are they hiring? The only people who can provide positive references for every job they’ve ever had have either only had one job or are the kind of brown-nosed conformists that can’t possibly be of any use other than to service the HR department with analingus or approve dodgy deals involving over the top mortgages to unemployed chavs; precisely the type of people who’ve allowed businesses to get into the mess we’re in now.
    I think you've got it.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    Of my last 12 gigs, 8 of the companies have either gone bust or have completely closed down their UK offices, so you couldn't even get an HR reference from them (even if HR kept such details for contractors).
    Bad news for references but great news if Hector ever wanted to do an IR35 investigation in relation to any of those gigs!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
    I was offered a permi role before Xmas and they wanted references for my entire work career !
    What kind of freaks are they hiring? The only people who can provide positive references for every job they’ve ever had have either only had one job or are the kind of brown-nosed conformists that can’t possibly be of any use other than to service the HR department with analingus or approve dodgy deals involving over the top mortgages to unemployed chavs; precisely the type of people who’ve allowed businesses to get into the mess we’re in now.

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied

That would be mine for sure

I was offered a permi role before Xmas and they wanted references for my entire work career !

When I was a permieat ADT, they obtained by NI history - to track my employer NI contributions - you should have seen the size of the document

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    For those occasions when you actually do want to give out referees, do you find difficulty in doing so because they are no longer available? They move on, or the organisation ceases to exist.

My wife is applying to go back to college to do an MA and needs two academic referees from just a few years ago but she can't even find her lecturers any more.

In my case, from most recent going backwards, the referee I would use:
    1. is about to change jibs
    2. has left
    3. has left
    4. has retired
    5. has left
    6. the business folded
    7. the business ceased to exist
    8. the agency merged into another and the referee retired
    9. left and the business folded
    10. the organisation has ceased to exist and the referee left
    11. has retired
    12. the business has ceased to exist

I have felt for some time the whole "referee" thing has been made meaningless by the mobile workforce concept and the rapidity of business takeovers.

What is your view / experience?
    I think you do better than me.

Of my last 12 gigs, 8 of the companies have either gone bust or have completely closed down their UK offices, so you couldn't even get an HR reference from them (even if HR kept such details for contractors).

Though for the other 4 all my managers are still "in situ".

A friend of a friend was once offered a job by Oracle (as a senior "consultant"). And I was told that they wanted to to reference his complete CV. I would be knackered by such a request.

tim

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    If I go back for into permidom for referernces - most of mine are dead
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    A fair number of mine are too...

One place was demolished & replaced with a housing estate.

Another one went bust.

One of the places I contracted at for a year went bust & is now a tyre retailer...

Another one has just been acquired.

A semiconductor manufacturer I worked for was bought by private equity (doomed doomed doomed).

AB A*t*m*t*ve were closed down.

The fruit machine company went bust...

There's a lot of it about.

Are you both applying to join Hezbollah or something?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied

Can you give me his number?
    Just copy and paste into this one;

Mich the Tester has been in the employ of MyCo BV for 5 years now. During this time he has taken responsibility for the technical, commercial and financial strategy of MyCo BV and has produced exceptional results in all three areas. His commitment to quality and excellent customer service has allowed MyCo BV to grow substantially and achieve a yearly rise in profits, while gaining praise from MyCo BV’s customers for testing mission and life critical systems to a world class standard.

Yours faithfully

Mrs Tester
    Secretary to the Board, MyCo BV, a member company of Mich the Tester Global Enterprises inc

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    The bloke down the pub who writes mine is still there.

Can you give me his number?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    All of mine are still fine. What are you doing to your referees?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    The bloke down the pub who writes mine is still there.

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied
    If I go back for into permidom for referernces - most of mine are dead

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    I worked for MyCo Ltd for last five years as consultant. *Signed Me.
    and by the way I am brilliant and deserve a super rate

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    For the last permie job I had I was asked to supply references to cover the whole of the previous five years. I had only had two jobs in that time, but the first one was for a government quango that was being closed down. Luckily, there were still three people there on the skeleton staff when I needed to get the reference. I don't know what I would have done otherwise.
    I worked for MyCo Ltd for last five years as consultant. Signed Me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X