• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Walking!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Walking!"

Collapse

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    Here, the nearest off licence is a 5 minute drive away, but I should not drive at all because I am not sober. Even if I was, it's not worth going anyway because the off licence shut 2 and half hours ago.
    You getting a bit homesick hun?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I walk into work, but it's seventy miles away. I usually arrive by wednesday mid morning, do half an hour, break for lunch, do another half hour then it's time to leave for home.

Sometimes, if there is a meeting, or if the server is down, it all seems a bit of a waste of time.

Thats nothing mate. Once I got a gig in Singapore, it took me two and a half years to walk there. By the time I got there, the spec for the job had changed so much that I had to renegotiate. When it came to signing, I realised I had forgotten my pen, so I had to go all the way back to fetch it.

Forest Gump

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    Hang on - you're sober, on a Friday night?!!!

Mine better not end this way!!

x x x
    I am not that sober, Mrs Gonzo and I have just started bottle of wine number 3.

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    I live 3 ipod songs away from the office - but as I don't own a car, I walk pretty much everywhere!
    I never had a car all the time I lived in London, it was never worth it.

So now at the grand old age of 37 I have just purchased my first car They are essential here, nothing is very close to anything else. This is a large adjustment that I need to make.

In London, if at 11:40 on a Friday night I decide I need some more wine, I can just walk 5 minutes to the nearest off licence and buy some.

Here, the nearest off licence is a 5 minute drive away, but I should not drive at all because I am not sober. Even if I was, it's not worth going anyway because the off licence shut 2 and half hours ago.

Leave a comment:

• Grinder
    replied
    It's the future!

I've changed my routine over the last couple of weeks so that I have to walk into work and back (takes nearly an hour each way).

It's so lovely - like being given the gift of time.

Does anyone else use their feet to get to work?
    Well done you! 10 years ago I lost 20kg (over 2 years) walking my daily 2 mile commute.

I would definitely walk now if I had somewhere to go

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    if there is a meeting...........it all seems a bit of a waste of time.
    I sometimes get that - but its nothing to do with the walk!

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
    Pull the udder one.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I walk into work, but it's seventy miles away. I usually arrive by wednesday mid morning, do half an hour, break for lunch, do another half hour then it's time to leave for home.

Sometimes, if there is a meeting, or if the server is down, it all seems a bit of a waste of time.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    Nearly time for me to go to bed.

I have already lived through Friday 20th February 2009. But I won't tell you what happens.
    Hang on - you're sober, on a Friday night?!!!

Mine better not end this way!!

x x x

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    My end client is based out in the stix so walking to work isn’t an option though I have just started doing a 30 minute walk at lunch time, I keep coming back to the office with cow poo on my shoes.
    Pull the udder one.

Why don't you just get your milk from a carton like everyone else?

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    It's the future!

I've changed my routine over the last couple of weeks so that I have to walk into work and back (takes nearly an hour each way).

I've been walking to the office and back (an hour/4 miles each way) for almost 2 years now. Aside from the fitness and weight loss benefits, I find that it gives me thinking time to solve any problems and clear my mind before getting to the office.

Keep it up if you can - it's well worth it.

Leave a comment:

• FSM with Cheddar
    replied
    I quite often don't park in clientCo's carpark, but park a mile or so away.
    Avoids the jams, and get 20mins walk each way.

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    It's the future!

Yep - Local gig at the moment - not high tech & not a great rate - but to be around the corner is worth it.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    My end client is based out in the stix so walking to work isn’t an option though I have just started doing a 30 minute walk at lunch time, I keep coming back to the office with cow poo on my shoes.
    We won't tell your missus

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    I live 3 ipod songs away from the office - but as I don't own a car, I walk pretty much everywhere!

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X