• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Mortgage deals 'should be capped', says Sir John Gieve"

Collapse

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    Why.

Don't you learn by your mistakes in your job and do a better job next year because of it?

I happen to think that what he says now is right, ignoring it becaue he didn't say it five years ago would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater

tim
    Of course he is right.

However, he ignored the banks when they stopped carrying out due dilligence. That is one of the deadly sins of banking. He wasn't the only one, but he was still part of the problem.

Whatever his motivation was then, it makes people question what his motivation is now.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post

You haven't the faintest idea what you are talking about. Goodbye.
    So taking your ball away wins the arguement does it?

tim

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Which proves what? They were specifically instructed not to take house prices into consideration.

So in your job your boss tells you to do something in a way that you think is wrong.

Do you -

Knuckle down and do as told

or do you shout from the roof tops that he is wrong and risk losing you job?

tim
    Depends on what it is.

Actually I'm quite serious I personally know people who have refused to do what amounts to fraud in their job and have been pushed out.

Those in the private sector actually have had a lucky escape as the companies soon afterwards has gone to the wall.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Mortgages are effectively capped now by the fact that all banks are asking for a percentage deposit. What a shame that that has not been the case in recent years.

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    You snipped the bit where I told you. They were specifically instructed to ignore house prices in their considerations.

So ISTM that complaining about house prices would have been doing something that they were specifically told not to do, and therefore implying that they thought that instruction wrong.

Whilst it might have been appropriate to say this in private, saying it in public would have been dangerous to them keeping their job.

tim
    ...which of course was why the MPC mentioned house prices in just about every set of minutes since April 2007, but didn't see fit to point out that house prices would have a direct and dramatic effect on inflation and interest rates, even though anyone with the slightest clue about economics knew that the bubble was going to burst sooner or later.

You haven't the faintest idea what you are talking about. Goodbye.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    What, exactly, do you think the MPC is there for??

I suspect you are taking the mick. I won't rise to the bait, sorry.
    You snipped the bit where I told you. They were specifically instructed to ignore house prices in their considerations.

So ISTM that complaining about house prices would have been doing something that they were specifically told not to do, and therefore implying that they thought that instruction wrong.

Whilst it might have been appropriate to say this in private, saying it in public would have been dangerous to them keeping their job.

tim

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Which proves what? They were specifically instructed not to take house prices into consideration.

So in your job your boss tells you to do something in a way that you think is wrong.

Do you -

tim
    What, exactly, do you think the MPC is there for??

I suspect you are taking the mick. I won't rise to the bait, sorry.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    This guy is/was one of the people on the MPC

My grandmother, who is not exactly playing with a full deck these days, said it would end in tears because people were borrowing too much money and the banks were too greedy at least 4 years ago - and if she could see it this idiot should have, and more importantly done something about it.

Do you -

tim

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    I'm sure there used to be a cap. However this was removed in the early years of the nu-lab balls up...
    The cap was called "sense", or "intelligence".

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    I'm sure there used to be a cap. However this was removed in the early years of the nu-lab balls up...

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post

was getting a big fat bonus for letting banks continue to lend money to people who would never be able to pay it back

this problem has been caused by greed and so yes those that could have prevented it but did not should hang from the nearest lamppost
    I believe that was I said?

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    The truth is probably that he had a vested interest so he said nothing.

was getting a big fat bonus for letting banks continue to lend money to people who would never be able to pay it back

this problem has been caused by greed and so yes those that could have prevented it but did not should hang from the nearest lamppost

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Why.

Don't you learn by your mistakes in your job and do a better job next year because of it?

I happen to think that what he says now is right, ignoring it becaue he didn't say it five years ago would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater

tim
    This guy is/was one of the people on the MPC and so is supposed to be an expert in his field. My grandmother, who is not exactly playing with a full deck these days, said it would end in tears because people were borrowing too much money and the banks were too greedy at least 4 years ago - and if she could see it this idiot should have, and more importantly done something about it.

The truth is probably that he had a vested interest so he said nothing.

As others have said - good riddance.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenerGrass View Post
    Sir John Gieve should just shut up and go quietly to be honest, he has failed abysmally in his role to prevent this mess.
    If he had concerns he should have voiced them about 3 years ago.
    Why.

tim

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenerGrass View Post
    Sir John Gieve should just shut up and go quietly to be honest, he has failed abysmally in his role to prevent this mess.
    If he had concerns he should have voiced them about 3 years ago.
    WHS

Quite a few of the so called experts have been using the line 'if only the government had given us the powers to prevent this'

Leave a comment:

Working...
X