• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Passports

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Passports"

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    It doesn't contain any biometrics. It just contains the things that can be "human read".

I think that the theory is that it can be reprogrammed during the life of the passport to add some biometrics when they have decide which ones work.

tim

II heard it contains a list of your most recent internet browsing habits.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    I tell you what really wound me up, on my way back last year... the bunch of muppets they had at JFK who had badges and uniforms - Homeland Security, they were a group of kids basically with a crib sheet and an inflated sense of authority
    o
    I remember this at customs, a gold badge that would rival a highly decorated army officer. They do not half get carried away with their own superiority.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    I just had to get a new one from the consulate in Madrid, charged me 135 Euros the thieving bastards!

Just one question though, and forgive me for being so stupid, but what information exactly does that 'biometric chip' contain? My understanding of biometrics is that they describe attributes of your biological make up such as fingerprints, DNA, Iris scans etc. Given that I just filled in a form with the usual stuff, they have none of those details so how can it be a biometric passport?
    It doesn't contain any biometrics. It just contains the things that can be "human read".

I think that the theory is that it can be reprogrammed during the life of the passport to add some biometrics when they have decide which ones work.

tim

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    presumably so they can run various analysis and comparisons between "your picture" and "you" using a very expensive computer program.....

Its OK - (when/)if the expensive computer fails they have a fallback procedure.. its called "Look at the bl**ding Photo"
    Clever stuff, but I bet that contingency won’t work. The sort of people employed at customs aren’t exactly the brightest bulbs in the lamp shop and they’ll probably follow the standard ‘computer says no’ procedure.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
    I believe they take a set of facial measurements by scanning your photo.
    presumably so they can run various analysis and comparisons between "your picture" and "you" using a very expensive computer program.....

Its OK - (when/)if the expensive computer fails they have a fallback procedure.. its called "Look at the bl**ding Photo"

Leave a comment:

• SizeZero
    replied
    Just one question though, and forgive me for being so stupid, but what information exactly does that 'biometric chip' contain?
    I believe they take a set of facial measurements by scanning your photo.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Of course, there is something untoward coming up from your swabs of the sole of my shoe... I have been walking your streets for days - flip knows whats on there

Can you tell that I am still bitter?
    Maybe it was ‘turpitude’ on the soles of your shoes. People really should clear up after their dogs.

You're not bitter; you're sane.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

What is it with the yanks? They're just clueless.
    I tell you what really wound me up, on my way back last year... the bunch of muppets they had at JFK who had badges and uniforms - Homeland Security, they were a group of kids basically with a crib sheet and an inflated sense of authority

Of course, there is something untoward coming up from your swabs of the sole of my shoe... I have been walking your streets for days - **** knows whats on there

Can you tell that I am still bitter?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    That pretty well sums it up!
    and what on earth is 'moral turpitude'? Is it a strange fetish?

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    That pretty well sums it up!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post

What a bunch of muppets.
    B) Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude or a violation related to a controlled substance; or have been arrested or convicted for two or more offenses for which the aggregate sentence to confinement was five years or more; or have been a controlled substance trafficker; or are you seeking entry to engage in criminal or immoral activities? *

C) Have you ever been or are you now involved in espionage or sabotage; or in terrorist activities; or genocide; or between 1933 and 1945 were you involved , in any way, in persecutions associated with Nazi Germany or its allies? *

So someone who survived the Holocaust would have to answer YES to both questions, i.e.

B) Yes, I was arrested for being Jewish (or left winged, a trade union representative, a Jehovah’s Witness, or disabled, or Russian as the case may be) while in Germany.

C) Yes, I was one of the people being persecuted/a member of the resistance.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    I just had to get a new one from the consulate in Madrid, charged me 135 Euros the thieving bastards!

Just one question though, and forgive me for being so stupid, but what information exactly does that 'biometric chip' contain? My understanding of biometrics is that they describe attributes of your biological make up such as fingerprints, DNA, Iris scans etc. Given that I just filled in a form with the usual stuff, they have none of those details so how can it be a biometric passport?
    I hope you are not suggesting that our esteemed Government and its media lackeys are using a trendy buzzword without actually knowing what they are talking about?

Didn't you notice the short sharp shock of the anal probe as it scraped off a DNA sample - you should be more wary!

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied

I wondered that too

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post

What a bunch of muppets.
    oppppssss

Leave a comment:

Working...
X