• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Etiquette question

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Etiquette question"

Collapse

• Smurficus
    replied
    [QUOTE=MaryPoppins;775514]
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    On the subject of breastfeeding, I am ashamed to say the idea of it makes me uncomfortable which is a bit of a quandry being pregnant.
    My wife has the same feeling; our second is on the way and she is willing to give it a go as there are benefits you don't think of before the first - no sterilizing bottles at 2am

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    whatever you do.. don't lick your lips and say "Bitty!"

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Apparently some men like the taste of breast milk
    I've not had it neat, but I can tell you it affects the taste of tea. (Hey, how was I to know that's what that plastic bottle in the 'fridge was?)

But if a man is alone in a forest and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?
    Her Ladyship says "Well he's clearly up to no good, is he?"

Remember:
    Women have got many faults.
    Men have only two:
    Everything they say
    And everything they do.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    A minefield indeed. Keep us abreast of how the situation develops though
    OK. I found out today whether or not she was comfortable.

Same friend visited us this afternoon to collect her laptop from which I have now removed all the viruses and trojans.

We were sitting around a coffee table when she announced that she was going to try and feed the baby and then pulled her top up and plonked the baby against her boob.

She didn't even have the courtesy to ask if we would mind!

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Stare intently at them and say in a hushed voice.

Bitty!
    How about "can I have a go when the baby is done?".
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    one eyebrow raised with a "niice, niice" comment and a nod of the head is my recommendation
    Originally posted by Rookie View Post
    If it happens again you could always get your cock out and see how she feels. Just a thought.
    Unfortunately, all these good suggestions went out of my mind at the time, but I think I handled the situation OK.

I couldn't look her in the eye while she was feeding with the boob pointing in my direction, but when she was using the other one I was OK.

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    On the subject of breastfeeding, I am ashamed to say the idea of it makes me uncomfortable which is a bit of a quandry being pregnant. Pogle, I wish I could be as positive about it as you.
    Feeding babies with formula is relatively recent.

Humans have developed over hundreds of thousands of years feeding their babies with breast milk. I don't think that there is any contest.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    [QUOTE=EternalOptimist;775498]mmm, a difficult etiquettical question.
    I don't know about breast feeding but I have heard that if you go for a plop-plop in someones bog, you should light a match afterwards.
    Or an emergency flare in my case

On the subject of breastfeeding, I am ashamed to say the idea of it makes me uncomfortable which is a bit of a quandry being pregnant. Pogle, I wish I could be as positive about it as you.

Leave a comment:

• Rookie
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    mmm, a difficult etiquettical question.
    I don't know about breast feeding but I have heard that if you go for a plop-plop in someones bog, you should light a match afterwards.

What if you took the corner too fast and left a skid in the pan?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    mmm, a difficult etiquettical question.

Leave a comment:

• Rookie
    replied
    If it happens again you could always get your cock out and see how she feels. Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    one eyebrow raised with a "niice, niice" comment and a nod of the head is my recommendation

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Is that a polite version of the CUK "Back in 5"?
    That's what I thought too.

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    But was I over-reacting and as a result offending the friend by letting her think that I did not want to be around while she was feeding the baby?
    If she got all offended and couldn't stop to think that you may have left out of courtesy to her, she'd need to wind her neck in.

You did the right thing IMO, and you could have murmered "Bitty!" from outside too.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    That's what I want to find out really.

Today my first reaction was to feel that I was intruding so I removed myself quickly because I didn't want the friend to have to ask me to leave.

But was I over-reacting and as a result offending the friend by letting her think that I did not want to be around while she was feeding the baby?
    She may have preferred that you weren't there, but didn't like to say. You chose the "leave" option which IMO can't fail because if she DID mind you being there, you weren't, but if she DIDN'T mind you being there, she'll understand that you erred on the side of caution.

You did the right thing.

She could have called after you "there's no need to leave i don't mind if you don't" but she didn't. QED.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied

Today my first reaction was to feel that I was intruding so I removed myself quickly because I didn't want the friend to have to ask me to leave.

What ever a man does is always wrong if there is a woman around.

But if a man is in a forest and no woman is around to hear him is he still wrong? Mrs BP says yes.......

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Men do get embarrased when they see a woman feeding, which is a shame, It didnt bother me much and I felt I was doing my best for Pogle Jnr, which frankly was the only thing that mattered

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I was just about to put lunch on as well.
    Is it SMA today?

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I was just about to put lunch on as well.
    the kettle

Leave a comment:

Working...
X