• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Gordon Brown must go ...."

Collapse

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    But unless Labour is the largest party (unlikely) if there are enough seats for Lib/Lab to form a coalition there will also be enough seats for a Lib/Tory coalition.

The Libs know that forming a coalition with the most unpopular party will see them blamed for keeping them in, so they probably won't do it.

Also, if the Tories are the largest party, but without a majority, you could see them trying to run a minority government (it what's happening in Scotland).

If the Libs dared not to support the Tories is on important issues you could see a new election and the Libs wiped out.

Siding with the unpopular party is a risky strategy.

tim

Whilst I take your point, history shows that Lib Dems align with Labour, and there has never been a Lib/Tory pact in my lifetime. It is taking one hell of a risk to think they would form a coalition with the Tories.
    Labour is not necessarily that unpopular either. There are the unions, public sector workers and welfare claimants, and many northerners that will support them through thick and thin.
    It is aready well known that the Tories need to get 10% more votes than Labour just to win the same number of seats as Labour.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles
    Them's the rules. When John Major became PM he put off an election as long as he could too.
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    No he didn't.

He called an election and won.
    I think you'll find, as I said, that he only called the 1992 election because he had to, according to the constitution. It was the end of the maximum 5 year term. He was behind in the polls at the time he called it, so he would not have called it otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    No he didn't.

He called an election and won.
    Bollocks. He was appointed PM on 28th November 1990, and ultimately called an election for 9th April 1992. Since the previous election had been in 1987, 1992 was the latest year till which he could put it off.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Them's the rules. When John Major became PM he put off an election as long as he could too.
    No he didn't.

He called an election and won. Then he stayed in power for the maximum 5 year term and he was annihilated.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Aha! Good point tim. I'm with you there, old boy.

What would the libs have to gain by choosing labour over tory, eh? The libs are just as critical of labour as the tories are.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    The fact is that if there are sufficient seats for Labour and the Lib/Dems to form a majority, they will. If people don't want Labour in again then they should not vote Lib/Dem in a seat where the Tories would probably otherwise win.
    But unless Labour is the largest party (unlikely) if there are enough seats for Lib/Lab to form a coalition there will also be enough seats for a Lib/Tory coalition.

The Libs know that forming a coalition with the most unpopular party will see them blamed for keeping them in, so they probably won't do it.

Also, if the Tories are the largest party, but without a majority, you could see them trying to run a minority government (it what's happening in Scotland).

If the Libs dared not to support the Tories is on important issues you could see a new election and the Libs wiped out.

Siding with the unpopular party is a risky strategy.

tim

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Like any government, they have a moral obligation to call an election at precisely the same time as they have a legal obligation to do so. To suggest otherwise is to claim that our Constitution is at fault: I don't think it is.

Oh, and it is normal, even for the Tories, for a new party leader of a sitting government to become the new Prime Minister without holding an election. That too is how our Constitution works. The Prime Minister is not elected by popular vote.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post

Like they had a "moral obligation" to call an election when they appointed a new Prime Minister that the country had not voted on?
    Like any government, they have a moral obligation to call an election at precisely the same time as they have a legal obligation to do so. To suggest otherwise is to claim that our Constitution is at fault: I don't think it is.

Oh, and it is normal, even for the Tories, for a new party leader of a sitting government to become the new Prime Minister without holding an election. That too is how our Constitution works. The Prime Minister is not elected by popular vote.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    No, but that is wanting power for yourself. It is not the same as wanting power to keep out someone else. A subtle difference.

The fact is that if there are sufficient seats for Labour and the Lib/Dems to form a majority, they will. If people don't want Labour in again then they should not vote Lib/Dem in a seat where the Tories would probably otherwise win.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Do you honestly think that a politician will refuse high office because he thinks that a party he does not belong to deserves power ???!!!
    No, but that is wanting power for yourself. It is not the same as wanting power to keep out someone else. A subtle difference.

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Paul Moore is a hero. I just hope that he is not found in a wood having slit his wrists with a blunt knife, having committed 'suicide'.
    Ah... indeed. I never belived that one either..

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    I don't know why anyone would want to keep out the Tories. They seem to be the only party half-capable of running an economy. Nearly 100 years of history tells us that.

Do you honestly think that a politician will refuse high office because he thinks that a party he does not belong to deserves power ???!!!

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I don't know why anyone would want to keep out the Tories. They seem to be the only party half-capable of running an economy. Nearly 100 years of history tells us that.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by Solidec View Post
    Not so sure.

Vince Cable said on Andrew Marr he sees the Lib Dem policy on Tax and Spending as nowhere near Labours.

ie Spending cuts, lots of them, and tax cuts for low paid funded by hikes for the rich. Not exactly on the same page as ZaNuLieBore.

That's irrelevant. If they have the chance of power, while also keeping out the Tories, it will happen, just as it has before.

Leave a comment:

• Solidec
    replied
    The Tories have 41%, Labour 25% in the latest poll but the LibDems rose by 7%. I see a Lib/Lab pact on the horizon.
    Not so sure.

Vince Cable said on Andrew Marr he sees the Lib Dem policy on Tax and Spending as nowhere near Labours.

ie Spending cuts, lots of them, and tax cuts for low paid funded by hikes for the rich. Not exactly on the same page as ZaNuLieBore.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X