• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Speechless

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Speechless"

Collapse

• Andy2
    replied
    and in the meantime tier 1 visas are being issued willy nilly
    check this out

http://www.immigrationboards.com/

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Absolutely disgusting. The yankie companies like eds etc have seriously screwed up so now our jobs are being sold to the asians. Again!

At least the refinery workers did something about their jobs unlike us lot who'll just sit back and take it.
    That's what I mean: the govt seem keen on giving Britain's quite large amount of IT work to anyone except what I think is the largest pool of highly skilled IT workers in the world: British contractors.

There are loads of us and we are highly skilled; and highly valued in some quarters: join me at Heathrow any Monday morning, you'll see a large number of experienced and skilled IT workers going off to work....

Maybe that's the plan: don't compete with the Germans in business, just repatriate as much salary as possible from Frankfurt to the UK! Get the income without the cost, trouser the taxes without having to encourage a business environment.
    Last edited by expat; 13 February 2009, 08:44.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    You always have to make sure they repeat back to you what you have told them or they just switch off. If you speak too fast and they do not understand what you have said they will not ask you to repeat it, their communication skills are shocking.
    Asking you to repeat it would be insulting to you and humiliating to them. You're the one who places business (accurate and full communication) above personal aspects, you ask them to confirm what you have said.

I'm not being sarcastic or patronising here, it works and I have no problem with it. I do have a problem with our bosses who think that cultural differences don't come into it. I.e. I want more money for getting 2 Indian guys to code what I could have done myself. BTW I don't mean that I am as good as 2, that's not so; just that that's what it takes in this situation. Where I could do it single-handed, or 1 Indian guy on the spot could do it single-handed, if you do it by onshore/offshore it takes 2 indians and 1 chief.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Once had a trading application drop during the middle of the business day for an hour and the indian support goon kept it to himself.

They seem to hate openly stating there is a problem or an issue, I am sure they think the messenger of bad news is somehow responsible for the bad news.

IT can often be a job of managing problem after problem and that is why they are so bad at it.

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    I've been running projects off and on for more years than I care to remember (or admit to!). The big difference between Asian and Western developers is this. With an Asian developer, you have to tell them you want A, B and C, in absolute detail. You then have to keep on top of them, because if there is a problem with A, they will just stop and not tell you.

If there is a better way of doing something, a western developer will tell you in their own inimitable fashion, and you have the opportunity to add more value than expected. In the odd occasion the Asian developers do come accross a better way of doing things they will keep it to themselves.

It's not a race thing, it is a professional thing (in my experience). If I have the choice, and that isn't always the case, give me a western developer every time - it's less of a headache and saves money in the long run.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    You always have to make sure they repeat back to you what you have told them or they just switch off. If you speak too fast and they do not understand what you have said they will not ask you to repeat it, their communication skills are shocking.
    yep, that's my experience too

the main thing that I hate is the whispered conversations "off phone" where they try to figure out the communal team response - at least learn to mute the mic!

it's not just IT, my best mate works in chemical engineering and has had similar experience

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    the conference calls are the worst, good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    There's nothing like the smell of another f***ed-up British industry in the morning.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Yep, plenty quickly please.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    So my gaff is replacing all contractors and 60% of its IT Staff with Indian outsourced companies.

I will soon be heading up an Indian Dev team.

Lovely.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Absolutely disgusting. The yankie companies like eds etc have seriously screwed up so now our jobs are being sold to the asians. Again!

At least the refinery workers did something about their jobs unlike us lot who'll just sit back and take it.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Yeah, but EADS, EDS / HP, Fujitsu, CapGemini and IBM ain't exactly British companies either.

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    replied
    dont the visa restrictions apply shurely this cant be right

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    So my gaff is replacing all contractors and 60% of its IT Staff with Indian outsourced companies.

I will soon be heading up an Indian Dev team.

Lovely.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    ....I have just about had enough.
    I passed that stage years ago

Leave a comment:

Working...
X