• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Question for those of you with savings in the bank(s)"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    I'm trying to persuade my aged (and loaded) Ps to buy property. But old people are nervous of "commitments". I'd have thought they of all people would remember the inflation of the thirties and be the first to pile in to something tangible before their savings turn to dust and ashes courtesy of McDoom.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    ...and probably how it would all have perfect if the tories had been in power

Pensions would be far better, we'd have more gold, a much smaller public sector as well as far less immigration. That would have been quite a good achievement in comparison to today's ongoing debacle, and it could have been achieved with little effort, just a little commonsense.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Can't the mods ban him for depressing everyone with his Northern rock and toy town economics drivel? It's beyond a joke now, even ignoring him doesn't work

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    He said he regrets being a dimwit by investing in NR & EL as he didn’t see it coming… he then goes on to make some random predictions based on his infallible insight.
    ...and probably how it would all have perfect if the tories had been in power

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    That Bagpuss is a nice fella, I really enjoyed looking at his blog.
    Well I never.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    0% one week, 10-15% the next

Would love to see how you drive you car, Passengers would be forever hitting the dashboard or being thrown back in the seat

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    good summary
    You would say that Mr Sourpuss, as you have no clue whatsoever on any subject.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    He said he regrets being a dimwit by investing in NR & EL as he didn’t see it coming… he then goes on to make some random predictions based on his infallible insight.
    good summary

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied

Perhaps I will have the last laugh with my 3-4 quid per share compensation, as predicted by the experts.

Infallible insight ? No, I've just lived under failing Labour governments before.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    No idead what he said, but no doubt interest rates should have been lower sooner, northern rock etc?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Now that is funny! Mr "interest rates should have been lower sooner" is now asking for them to be raised to 10-15%

He truely is a Terry Fookwit or a badly designed Troll

In reality I expect his joy at a cheaper mortgage has now been offset by the fall in all of his assets i.e. he's realised a net loss from this mess.
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 12 February 2009, 13:47.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    Everybody seems to be ignoring the real danger of hyper-inflation which could be the result of increasing the money supply. I predict 10-15% inflation within a few years unless interest rates go to 10-15%.
    This will be a disaster for pensioners in particular, but also for mortgage holders, and will cause a further recession as spending-power is yet again taken out of people's hands by incompetent HMG policy.
    You're ignoring post 13

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    No idea what he said, but no doubt interest rates should have been lower sooner, northern rock etc?
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 12 February 2009, 13:44.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Everybody seems to be ignoring the real danger of hyper-inflation which could be the result of increasing the money supply. I predict 10-15% inflation within a few years unless interest rates go to 10-15%.
    This will be a disaster for pensioners in particular, but also for mortgage holders, and will cause a further recession as spending-power is yet again taken out of people's hands by incompetent HMG policy.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    What are you going to do now that:

Interest rates are practically zero and are well below inflation

Quantative Easing means the printing presses are going to be issuing £10,000,000,000 notes soon and hence your savings aren't going to buy a cup of coffee

Are you going to shift your money to another currency, buy gold, buy property or what?
    Nice Daily Mail panic there!

There are still some savings deals e.g. Halifax 3 months fixed saver circa 3.5%

The recession is beneficial to those with cash because you can negotiate big discounts on assets or conspicuous consumption.
    I'm going to sit tight for 6 months or so and then consider buying repo property

Leave a comment:

Working...
X