• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Are you in control of your own life?"

Collapse

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Can't say I have a favourite philosopher.

I don't have much time for philosopy and consider navel-gazing a waste of time. It's not a very useful skill is it ?

Leave a comment:

• Svalbaard
    replied
    Creationist: I believe in God. I believe he made me in one day.

Bill Hicks: Huh? Yeah... looks like he rushed it.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Thats how I imagine you to be all the time
    When I lived in Paris I used to hang out in various cafes with a crumpled 50s suit , hand crafted black Hat ffrom Rome and I guess I did look pretty intense.

These days though , crestfallen ,I sweep the streets of Basingstoke - I see people walk by me without a problem - friends turn and start to laugh.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    I wonder who your favourite Philosopher might be ?

Let me guess - is it - Wittgenstein - oh Ive probably mis-spelt his name , but he woulldnt mind - nothing really matters.
    I have it from the very highest authority that "Wittgenstein was a beery swine
    Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel."

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    I wonder who your favourtite Philospoher might be ?

Let me guess - is it - Wittgenstein - oh Ive probably mis-spelt his name , but he woulldnt mind - nothing really matters.

This month Im sporting a JeanPaul Satre look - smoking Gittanes drinking expressos and looking very intense.
    Thats how I imagine you to be all the time

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    My philosophy is :

Que Será Será
    I wonder who your favourite Philosopher might be ?

He did say that.
    And - that which cannot be described must be passed over in silence.

Like - Wow !

This month Im sporting a JeanPaul Satre look - smoking Gittanes drinking expressos and looking very intense.
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 7 February 2009, 12:43.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Socrates ? Didnt he play for Brazil ?

But he's wrong because I know a little something or other ... perhaps.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Magic 8 ball rules over me with an iron hand.

Who's this AndyW and why does he need to be an option in every poll?
    I'm with you... I love my magic 8 ball.

As for Andyw - it's the CUK law, you will get used to it.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    My philosophy is :

Que Será Será

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by chris79 View Post
    Personally I think that everything that happens is a combination of the past and present, and therefore the future (however complex) is predictable and I'm not in control (even though I feel I am in my mind - it's only an illusion).
    The World - is an Illusion.
    Time - is not what you think it is.
    The Universe - keeps expanding
    Grey Slates remain -Grey Slates

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I don't see how free will is possible as it implies our brains can choose not to follow basic physical laws somehow. The future and our thoughts are deterministic but impossible to determine without actually running the program is my guess. QM says randomness is fundamental to everything, but I don't believe in randomness either.

Leave a comment:

• dinker
    replied
    I am a finite-state machine

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I think sheet happens.
    And entropy.

Yesterday I had the mouse I use with the laptop die on me - but that gave me the excuse to buy a nice new wireless one (30 quid pcworld)

This morning I discover that the digital camera that I haven't used in three months has died. Don't know what I'm going to do about that. I fancy a nice new one, but I could do without the expense at the moment. Suppose I could get a cheap one for now.

Leave a comment:

• Bumfluff
    replied
    I think its a bit of both free will and destiny, you have to make a lot of choices based on what life throws at you, so you have free will to decide but alot of the time you can't control the reason you have to make these choices.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I think sheet happens.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X