• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Starting a business"

Collapse

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    It is a little worrying that you ask the question.

When starting a business one should produce a business plan. What you intend to do, with what, with whom, how, etc. You need to be modelling cash flow and market expectations and what you intend to live on and all sorts. Your local Business Link will help you do this for free.

If the business plan stands up, the time is right. If it does not, do not start the business and try to work out if there is anything you can influence that will make it stand up. If not, it won't work.

What other people are doing is immaterial.
    You'll get what you pay for too.

In my very early days I contacted them and they were total idiots. They maybe OK if you want to start a fish 'n' chip shop or a window cleanering round but anything more complex than that and they are lost.

They are not the reason why I gave up and moved offshore but they did nothing to give me faith in setting up in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Bear View Post
    Yep - just looking for a camp entertainer at the moment!

Bring back Larry Grayson

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Starting a business

Is now a good time with all the current economic doom and gloom?
    It is a little worrying that you ask the question.

When starting a business one should produce a business plan. What you intend to do, with what, with whom, how, etc. You need to be modelling cash flow and market expectations and what you intend to live on and all sorts. Your local Business Link will help you do this for free.

If the business plan stands up, the time is right. If it does not, do not start the business and try to work out if there is anything you can influence that will make it stand up. If not, it won't work.

What other people are doing is immaterial.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Bloke nearby is finishing putting in a new production line ... in his ice cream factory.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post

HAB

Sorry, I'm already booked for my own plan B. Actually, its plan A. I should be getting back to it towards the end of next week.

As to the OT. Yes, it's a great time to start a business (if the idea is good etc). HAB Inc started as part of the last banking throw out.

One extra benefit of starting a business under these economic conditions is that it makes you pay attention to cost control and cash flow.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied

HAB

Leave a comment:

• Bear
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Hi de hi - Have you purchased a field in Cumbria and turning it into a holiday camp?

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by Liability View Post
    Now is a good time beleive it or not. BUT - only if it's a good idea!

Recession and downturn bring oportunities as well.....if your product/service is aligned to the market condition it can take off like anything.
    WHS.

Only proceed if you know its a good idea. Dont take friends and family's word for it. They'll tell you what you want to hear.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Was worried that I had launched Plan B at the wrong time but no problems so far.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I totally agree - my plan b is just being registered with co house at the moment.

although it is aimed at people who want to save money and spend less - so it's probably a good time for that anyway.
    Hi de hi - Have you purchased a field in Cumbria and turning it into a holiday camp?

Leave a comment:

• Bear
    replied
    I totally agree - my plan b is just being registered with co house at the moment.

although it is aimed at people who want to save money and spend less - so it's probably a good time for that anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post

Or is entrepreneurship dead for the time being?

I think, as long as you have a good business plan and enough capital to get started for a few years, then opportunities still exist.

Do you agree or have I been watching too much Dragons Den?
    Now is a good time beleive it or not. BUT - only if it's a good idea!

Recession and downturn bring oportunities as well.....if your product/service is aligned to the market condition it can take off like anything.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    started a topic Starting a business

Starting a business

Or is entrepreneurship dead for the time being?

I think, as long as you have a good business plan and enough capital to get started for a few years, then opportunities still exist.

Do you agree or have I been watching too much Dragons Den?

Working...
X