• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Interest Rate Decision Today"

Collapse

• Gonzo
    replied
    Rate cut to 1% - who'd have thought it?

EDIT - I see Brillo beat me to that announcement in another thread.

Leave a comment:

• Bear
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    I wonder what it will be?

Does anyone care any more?

Is it possible for savers to get less reward than they are at the moment?
    I care - I have 2 tracker mortgages - I now pay about £1500 a month less in interest than I did 6 months ago!!

Edit: about £1700 a month less - 0.5% cut

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by thelace View Post
    IMO

For what the governments around the world are trying to achieve (ie more cash flowing around the system), cutting interest rates has to have a greater effect than most of the other measures they've tried such as the pathetic cut in VAT and underwriting or guaranteeing loans.

If I have more money in my pocket and I'm not going to earn didley squat by saving it, I have two options;

1) Pay off existing debts (my current option) increasing the banks liquidity and allowing them to redress their balance sheets deficits.

2) Spend it, thereby increasing the money spent on the high street, reducing company failures and subsequent redundancies.

Once they've run out of reductions in interest rates (which is just round the corner), the only other way to carry this on would be tax cuts, which the government cannot now afford!
    3) Save it, accepting almost no returns except that your money is worth more due to deflation.

Leave a comment:

• robbie274
    replied
    Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
    Isn't it more to do with banks lending to themselves ??
    Who then can't lend it out to customers

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
    Why would they lend to anyone if they can’t earn any money from it?

Leave a comment:

• thelace
    replied
    IMO

For what the governments around the world are trying to achieve (ie more cash flowing around the system), cutting interest rates has to have a greater effect than most of the other measures they've tried such as the pathetic cut in VAT and underwriting or guaranteeing loans.

If I have more money in my pocket and I'm not going to earn didley squat by saving it, I have two options;

1) Pay off existing debts (my current option) increasing the banks liquidity and allowing them to redress their balance sheets deficits.

2) Spend it, thereby increasing the money spent on the high street, reducing company failures and subsequent redundancies.

Once they've run out of reductions in interest rates (which is just round the corner), the only other way to carry this on would be tax cuts, which the government cannot now afford!

Leave a comment:

• badger7579
    replied

Leave a comment:

• robbie274
    replied
    Does it matter if it goes any lower banks are not passing much onto us anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Wouldn’t it be better to raise interest rates, thereby encouraging savers to make deposits that can then be lent out? Surely an interest rate cut is useless if there’s no money being lent out?

Leave a comment:

• badger7579
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post

I'll take a punt at a drop of 1%. You might as well spend most of your cash (if you have any) seeing as there is no interest being gained anymore.

Cheers Gordon

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Interest rate cut 'pointless', experts say

Experts dismissive as Bank of England set to unveil 0.5pc cut.

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied
    Makes me glad I have a mortgage

My first one was 15%

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    started a topic Interest Rate Decision Today

Interest Rate Decision Today

Working...
X