• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Quick financial question"

Collapse

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    nice attitude

I told the missus that whatever she decides will be fine, if it goes belly up I will never mention it again. Our marriage is worth more than a few grand

If Mrs Gonzo does something that I've decided and it goes belly up then I'd never hear the end of it.

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    :
    Investment Grade Bond Funds are a better deal, although they do carry some risk (the usual 10% applies).
    Last edited by ace00; 5 February 2009, 10:00. Reason: Forgot my 10%

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Personally I would seek advice discuss it with Mr P, and come to my decision. But you have to take into account I am one of those 'uppity females' who likes to do everything for herself, so if anything goes wrong I only have myself to blame.

Now look I've had a coffee on my desk for over 10 mins now, and not so much as a sniff of a choccie bicckie
    nice attitude

I told the missus that whatever she decides will be fine, if it goes belly up I will never mention it again. Our marriage is worth more than a few grand

Leave a comment:

• FSM with Cheddar
    replied
    I've got a vision of hobnobs scattered over the accounts girl, American Beauty style.

This will keep me warm in the snow.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Thanks TL

this abbey , 'low risk', deal has a spread of 3k over 3 years as far as I can see.
    the main variable is the interest rate, plus it is couched in terms to catch the unwary.
    BUT, it might turn out to be the right move, depending upon events, maybe I should let her get on with it and bite the bullet if it goes titties up. After all, it is her dosh.

Pogle, I need your angle here. (where is that beaver) Would you want your hubby to decide all this stuff, if you dont really want to be bothered, or would you like to keep control ?
    Personally I would seek advice discuss it with Mr P, and come to my decision. But you have to take into account I am one of those 'uppity females' who likes to do everything for herself, so if anything goes wrong I only have myself to blame.

Now look I've had a coffee on my desk for over 10 mins now, and not so much as a sniff of a choccie bicckie

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Thanks TL

this abbey , 'low risk', deal has a spread of 3k over 3 years as far as I can see.
    the main variable is the interest rate, plus it is couched in terms to catch the unwary.
    BUT, it might turn out to be the right move, depending upon events, maybe I should let her get on with it and bite the bullet if it goes titties up. After all, it is her dosh.

Pogle, I need your angle here. (where is that beaver) Would you want your hubby to decide all this stuff, if you dont really want to be bothered, or would you like to keep control ?

Last edited by EternalOptimist; 4 February 2009, 20:14.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    well, zero-risk used to mean AAA rated, but for the past year the world hasn't been so sure. Your Abbey account might be guaranteed by Abbey of course - check the small print.

If you're happy to keep it in sterling, the National Savings and Investments RPI-linked 3-year bond is I think as low risk as you could get. They do fixed-interest products on shorter terms too. All 100% guaranteed by the Queen.

The Investec High 5 account is good for "guaranteed" growth, but I think 25k is slightly below their riff-raff threshold

If you think keeping it all in one currency is too risky, look at currency funds like DBV or MERKX.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    hob fkng nobs ?

right. I want you all to report to HR at 9 tomorrow

unless someone comes up with a serious home for 25k, you are all sacked

Lend it to the government (i.e. buy gilts) - you know it'll be safe there.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Hi guys

the missus got pressured today to get into an Abbey split, guaranteed captial plus linked with a super saver

it looks to me like a bit of a low level risk (partly based on the FTSE).

Can anyone recommend a zero risk, saver for about 25k

TIA

I believe we have had the one permitted financial question for today.

Next.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    hob fkng nobs ?

right. I want you all to report to HR at 9 tomorrow

unless someone comes up with a serious home for 25k, you are all sacked

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    hobnobs? I refer you to this earlier post.
    you can bring the accounts lass instead of the hobnobs if you want!

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Only if you bring plain chocolate hobnobs
    hobnobs? I refer you to this earlier post.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    can we have a sense of urgency in this meeting please ?
    Only if you bring plain chocolate hobnobs

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    can we have a sense of urgency in this meeting please ?

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Hi guys

the missus got pressured today to get into an Abbey split, guaranteed captial plus linked with a super saver

it looks to me like a bit of a low level risk (partly based on the FTSE).

Can anyone recommend a zero risk, saver for about 25k

TIA

zero risk is much more difficult than low risk.

For zero risk you need to get firewood or guns, ammo and canned beans. All this still has a value after the world has collapsed.

If you want low risk - do you consider the GBP a high or low risk currency to be in?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X