• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "If Globalistion is so great, why...."

Collapse

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    One fun company got rid of 10+% of the staff, they chose the oldest, those with most sickies, and the pregnant women.

Oddly enough only binning the pregnant women was considered bad enough to make it to the news.

who got them pregnant?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    As opposed to throwing darts at an organigram, which is how they seem to do it around here.
    One fun company got rid of 10+% of the staff, they chose the oldest, those with most sickies, and the pregnant women.

Oddly enough only binning the pregnant women was considered bad enough to make it to the news.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Nope, they will be outsourced and replaced by fast-tracked wheezers.
    WE

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Meanwhile I see that some HR whizzes in Oz are turning to software to tell them who to get rid of link
    As opposed to throwing darts at an organigram, which is how they seem to do it around here.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Agents might be outsourced or automated, but that won’t be good for us. Here in NL if you want to work at ABN Amro you have to pay 500 euros and provide 5 (!) references to an automated agent website. Suddenly human agents seem more trustworthy; yes, even dodgy ones.
    Meanwhile I see that some HR whizzes in Oz are turning to software to tell them who to get rid of link

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Agents might be outsourced or automated, but that won’t be good for us. Here in NL if you want to work at ABN Amro you have to pay 500 euros and provide 5 (!) references to an automated agent website. Suddenly human agents seem more trustworthy; yes, even dodgy ones.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    And even greater for those involved in developing the technology to enable Globalisation.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Globalisation is great a long as there are cheap people abroad and cheap energy to allow shipping stuff around the world willy nilly.

And even greater for those involved in developing the technology to enable Globalisation.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Globalisation is great a long as there are cheap people abroad and cheap energy to allow shipping stuff around the world willy nilly.
    Its earned me a few bob - yeah its the way forward.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Or pass protectionist policies like the USA are doing right now.

An American job for every American worker.
    Long-term what will be the result of those policies? What happens when China et al look elsewhere as they can get the equivalent goods USA produces cheaper?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Like I said in its modern sense i.e. 'No holds barred, runaway free market at any cost sense'.

I'm not saying we shouldn't trade but it's got to the point where the consumer loses more than they gain IMO.
    I am sorry but you contractors have become very rich by developing the technology, so when things get a bit carried away then you might be a litltle bit more honest and less hypocritical and apply some of the blame toyourselves.

A bit less of the sanctiminious sneering and a bit more of the "hands up it's me" (putting hands up IS something the Italians can do) attitude please

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I think the only way to stop globalisation is to un-invent the ship, the train, the aeroplane, the car, the telegraph cable, the fibre-optic cable, the satellite and of course t’internet. It ain’t going to happen, so we may as well make the best of it.
    Or pass protectionist policies like the USA are doing right now.

An American job for every American worker.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    I think the only way to stop globalisation is to un-invent the ship, the train, the aeroplane, the car, the telegraph cable, the fibre-optic cable, the satellite and of course t’internet. It ain’t going to happen, so we may as well make the best of it.
    Agreed as I suggested here

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X