• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Spread Betting

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Spread Betting"

Collapse

• ace00
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    Is there any 12 month etf for oil ?
    ETFs don't actually work like that (they don't expire, although they are based on futures) .Just a little tip for ETFs, have a good look at this site:
    http://www.etfsecurities.com/
    Should be everything you need to know there. The usual 10% applies for any profits made, I have paypal.

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    You're right, trading does require constant monitoring, thats why I couldnt hack it whilst I was working in a city IT job. Now I trade full time, its a lot easier.

As you say, no reason why you cant invest rather than trade. I will be managing my new baby's child trust fund and that will be investing rather than trading. Thinking about long term buy on gold and crude oil.
    Gold is a bit of a herring right now - as its correlation to Forex changes - although saying that; it's not at its high's right now if I recall?

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Liability View Post
    Thanks SC

TBH each trade I make as itll be my last. After my massive 4 min loss - I learn a bloody hard lesson at how easy it is to lose vast sums of money in minutes and seconds.

I did try forex for a while I think in 2006 but the movements are just soo great it requires constant monitoring which I cant do.

I am now more longer term - Barclays was a one off as it was Hedges that drove the price down.

I dont really have a strategy - I just read and follow whats happening and use events as an indication. I quit with all the strategies when I realised that sometimes the most crazy reasons would and can influence markets.

Right now I am just looking at BP and Brent Crude for 12 monthers...but alot in the mix so closely monitoring events and info from China and India and USA reserves. Gas also should be going down [whole sale] before increasing from what I can see.
    You're right, trading does require constant monitoring, thats why I couldnt hack it whilst I was working in a city IT job. Now I trade full time, its a lot easier.

As you say, no reason why you cant invest rather than trade. I will be managing my new baby's child trust fund and that will be investing rather than trading. Thinking about long term buy on gold and crude oil.

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    Thanks SC

TBH each trade I make as itll be my last. After my massive 4 min loss - I learn a bloody hard lesson at how easy it is to lose vast sums of money in minutes and seconds.

I did try forex for a while I think in 2006 but the movements are just soo great it requires constant monitoring which I cant do.

I am now more longer term - Barclays was a one off as it was Hedges that drove the price down.

I dont really have a strategy - I just read and follow whats happening and use events as an indication. I quit with all the strategies when I realised that sometimes the most crazy reasons would and can influence markets.

Right now I am just looking at BP and Brent Crude for 12 monthers...but alot in the mix so closely monitoring events and info from China and India and USA reserves. Gas also should be going down [whole sale] before increasing from what I can see.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Good Post.

Ive been doing it since 2001 but merely part time. I would say per year I do around 20 max trades. The biggest ive lost was £7080 in 4 mins! That was in 2003. My heart sank! The most Ive gained was £33,100 on a sell on Oil when it hit its peak.

I use a 10% principle - I started with £10k in my kitty in 2001 - over the years I would estimate I am up at around £84,000 inclusive of obv losses....initially I was more in shares back when the Spread platforms werent available...than switched....a colleague of mine where I worked in 2002-2004 would intra-day on average £50 a point on various and would literally make and lose hundreds per hour - but he knew his limits....thats the trick! Never look back - for example - on Oil I could have actually made around x5 that amount if I went with what I wanted to and decreased the range on the loss - but hell its tax free and pays for my outgoings!
    Wow, that is great Liability! You gotta have a very good win ratio for 10% risk, but you are obviously doing it.

£50 a pip would give me a heart attack! I vary from £3 to £15 and I trade euro$, pound$ and gold mainly. I like the currency markets as they move a lot more than shares.

I know a guy who scalped the market until his doctor told him to stop. I prefer aiming for 50 to 100 pips per trade and the steady as she goes approach

And I agree with you, stay calm about a winning or losing trade. Once that trade is over move on to the next one and make sure it is completely unrelated to the last.

We'll have to chat strategy some time. PM me if you want to!
    Last edited by SantaClaus; 3 February 2009, 18:10.

Leave a comment:

• Money Money Money
    replied
    Think i'm best leaving it to you boys! I'm only young and tend to be inpatient,

I'd whack me whole rainy day fund on and lose it!

Cheers though lads, looks like you know what your doing!

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    I gave up IT and started spreadbetting professionally since last February. I've been studying the market for 4 years and only now am I turning a consistent profit.

For your info, CFDs are just as risky as spreadbetting. They are both leveraged products. The disadvantage of CFDs is you pay tax, whereas with spreadbets, you dont.

You should use good money money management and risk no more than 2% of your account on any one trade. Risk/Reward should always be at least 1:2.

And always use a guaranteed stoploss or you will lose more than your account (and your shirt) should the market crash. Yes, your account can go negative and they will chase you for it!

Be aware of tricks that the big boys play every day. Its well know that most traders place their stops above/below the high/low price of the day. Dealers will use the news as an excuse to trigger stops at these levels before reversing the market in the direction it should have gone.
    Also lesser tricks are price re-quotes, huge price spikes at quiet times of the day, platform delays, etc.

If you won thousands on one bet, the chances are you risked too much and will hand it back (and more) next time, so be very careful.

And ever wondered why price always reverses on you when you enter a trade?
    Maybe one day I'll explain.
    Good Post.

Ive been doing it since 2001 but merely part time. I would say per year I do around 20 max trades. The biggest ive lost was £7080 in 4 mins! That was in 2003. My heart sank! The most Ive gained was £33,100 on a sell on Oil when it hit its peak.

I use a 10% principle - I started with £10k in my kitty in 2001 - over the years I would estimate I am up at around £84,000 inclusive of obv losses....initially I was more in shares back when the Spread platforms werent available...than switched....a colleague of mine where I worked in 2002-2004 would intra-day on average £50 a point on various and would literally make and lose hundreds per hour - but he knew his limits....thats the trick! Never look back - for example - on Oil I could have actually made around x5 that amount if I went with what I wanted to and decreased the range on the loss - but hell its tax free and pays for my outgoings!

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by backlight View Post
    Is today the day? I'm keen to hear your insight
    It's as simple as support/resistance, psychology and money management.

Complex indicators and methods are just there to confuse retail traders.

Here's some more:

Always trade in the direction of the higher timeframes. If you are an intraday trader, this will be the 4hr and daily charts. If you are a position trader, this might be the monthly charts.

Take trades on retracements, not breakouts, i.e., buy or sell on pullbacks in the opposite direction to price.

Never chase price. The market will turn as soon as you do.

Set realistic profit targets. Take what the market is willing to give you according to support/resistance levels.

Battle with your demons. Dont try and get even with the market after a loss. The market doesnt "owe" you anything.
    Last edited by SantaClaus; 3 February 2009, 14:25.

Leave a comment:

• backlight
    replied

Is today the day? I'm keen to hear your insight

Leave a comment:

• Money Money Money
    replied
    I gave up IT and started spreadbetting professionally since last February. I've been studying the market for 4 years and only now am I turning a consistent profit.

For your info, CFDs are just as risky as spreadbetting. They are both leveraged products. The disadvantage of CFDs is you pay tax, whereas with spreadbets, you dont.

You should use good money money management and risk no more than 2% of your account on any one trade. Risk/Reward should always be at least 1:2.

And always use a guaranteed stoploss or you will lose more than your account (and your shirt) should the market crash. Yes, your account can go negative and they will chase you for it!

Be aware of tricks that the big boys play every day. Its well know that most traders place their stops above/below the high/low price of the day. Dealers will use the news as an excuse to trigger stops at these levels before reversing the market in the direction it should have gone.
    Also lesser tricks are price re-quotes, huge price spikes at quiet times of the day, platform delays, etc.

If you won thousands on one bet, the chances are you risked too much and will hand it back (and more) next time, so be very careful.

Oh come on... Save me 4 years please.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by Money Money Money View Post
    Cheers Liability.

I know very little about spread betting but does "£4230 on the stop loss" mean that it would automatically sell if your shares got to -£4230? OR you put up £4230 in the first place?

and secondly

Do you have the same very confident feeling it wasnt going to go down further about BP?

Cheers
    Basically - the stop loss was the amount [in this case the price] it was going to go AGAINST me before it closed. The £4k figure was the amount I was sure it wouldnt go less than - but also the maximum I would lose and want to lose.

BP is a longer term bet - when Oil prices go up Oil Company stocks go up [in general] but BP have taken a pounding over the last year due to the issues in Russia and also the CEO change etc. I would expect it to rise over the coming 6-12 months - but its all risk

Leave a comment:

• Money Money Money
    replied
    In fairness I did attempt to share the wealth lol - I posted it on here before I was "in".

Risk? £4230 on the stop loss :-) SO yes there was an element of risk but I had a very confident feeling it wasnt going to go down further.
    Cheers Liability.

I know very little about spread betting but does "£4230 on the stop loss" mean that it would automatically sell if your shares got to -£4230? OR you put up £4230 in the first place?

and secondly

Do you have the same very confident feeling it wasnt going to go down further about BP?

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    Is there any 12 month etf for oil ?
    Hmmm good question...the place I use doesnt do ETF's but I am sure in the wider community of trading there may be?

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by Money Money Money View Post
    You made £21k in 15 days??? You lucky F***ER!!! How much did you risk if you don't mind me asking.
    In fairness I did attempt to share the wealth lol - I posted it on here before I was "in".

Risk? £4230 on the stop loss :-) SO yes there was an element of risk but I had a very confident feeling it wasnt going to go down further.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X