• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Working away..

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Working away.."

Collapse

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    Yes I often had that comment. I'd set off from work at about 6 and get home for anout 9:30 thursday night. Then I'd be home all Friday, Staurday and Sunday and quite often half or all of Monday - but I was still away all week.
    and then when you're home 7 days a week they start getting edgy about that too ......

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    I've done that. Makes a huge difference to me. Unfortunately my OH was still describing me as being away "all week" when I was trying to point out that I was away 3 nights and home 4 nights.
    Yes I often had that comment. I'd set off from work at about 6 and get home for anout 9:30 thursday night. Then I'd be home all Friday, Staurday and Sunday and quite often half or all of Monday - but I was still away all week.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Yep tipping the balance to being at home more nights than away makes a world of difference. It may be just my industry, but it seems to be harder to secure these days

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    When I worked away I used to get Fridays from home as soon as possible. It makes a huge difference being away 3 nights instead of 4. Also, after I'd been there a while I used to do some Mondays from home also.
    I've done that. Makes a huge difference to me. Unfortunately my OH was still describing me as being away "all week" when I was trying to point out that I was away 3 nights and home 4 nights.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    When I worked away I used to get Fridays from home as soon as possible. It makes a huge difference being away 3 nights instead of 4. Also, after I'd been there a while I used to do some Mondays from home also.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    Originally posted by Ivor Bigun View Post
    Also, I'll wager your husband is not the sort to wash clothes and have a hot meal waiting for you when you (the grumpy "I've had a bad day" bread winner) returns. Sure he'll appear quiet about it but I bet it will eat at him in the long term. Also, I'll bet that a house husband is not the man you wanted to marry in the first place.

Not so sure about that. What I'd give to avoid specification meetings and be a house-husband instead.

Certainly it's a plan C - wife goes back to work, I stay home.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    My working from home MO

I stay in hotels/B&B for the first 6 months because you don't know if things are going to work out so the last thing you want is tie ins. I tend to avoid short term lets completely, due to council tax, utility bills etc, too much hassle if you already have a main residence.

Find a decent B&B, the quality can always be judged by the standard of the breakfast. The guys that put an effort into this, usually put in an effort to make your stay more comfortable.
    If you want to save money ask for a long term rate, and a rate without breakfast.

If the site has a canteen, use it. One hot subsidised meal a day makes evening options a bit easier and helps you avoid high fat takeaways.

After 6 months look on Easyroom mate for a flat share. If you pick a youngish singleton to share with, you will often have the place to yourself.

If you can try to break up the week by popping home mid week.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
    looks like i'll have to contract away, just wondering about the suitcase, anyone any ideas on how to avoid dragging a suitcase into the office on a monday and friday?
    Go to the hotel first and dump it there. Or put it in left luggage. Or in the back of your car, if it is there.

What's the problem with taking it to the office? I've been in offices where almost everybody did that. If anything, it reminds people of why you keep the hours that you do: so on Monday morning, when someone says "where's Joe", instead of the answer being "Dunno, never know when he's here or not" it will be "It's Monday, he'll be on the way".

Edit: I usually get a cupboard at the office in the first week and keep it there, just carry laptop and laundry at weekends. Or leave an old laptop, and just carry portable memory.

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    replied
    looks like i'll have to contract away, just wondering about the suitcase, anyone any ideas on how to avoid dragging a suitcase into the office on a monday and friday?

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    I stay away during the week if I have to - rent a 1 bed/studio on a nice complex with a gym and go home weekends. At the moment I'm staying in one of my own BTLs during the week that just happens to be empty.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Most private schools are "factory schools". They exist to make money out of scared parents. In truth, the majority of kids that stay in the private sector, have a harder time adjusting to the real world when they leave at 17.

If as a family, you have to beg, steal or borrow, I think family money is better spent/saved elsewhere for the good of you all in later life.
    Luckily there are some excellent private schools down the road from us - we know 'cos we researched thoroughly in order to ensure we were spending the money wisely - and I've not see the eldest ever happier despite double the homework and the daily after school activities. I would tear me up now if it came to the point where we have to take her out and we somewhat regret moving to an area where we ended up in this position.

Saving for later in life - struggling to pay the bills at the moment - esp since the 15% rate cut in Oct - now I know what it means when they say 'caught between a rock and a hard place

Leave a comment:

• Ivor Bigun
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    That's the tough one! We've pared expenses down to the bone, however struggling to do this with the grocery bill considering we have 3 kids, however our biggest outgoing is the school fees, the state school system is rubbish (most of the time is wasted in trying to get the kids to settle down to concentrate) and even the good one is full up though we are in the catchment area.

IMHO - the best things you can give your kids are lots of love and a the best education possible and me and OH have agreed to sacrifice everything else including suffering whilst I am working away (luckily only 33% of the time on this gig) until better times come back again and then hopefully I can improve my rate nearer home and OH can start working once kids are all in school.
    Don't know how old the kids are but you should consider the following:
    Put your kids in private school from 6 to 11 - After that, put them in the state sector. Best of both worlds IMO.

Most private schools are "factory schools". They exist to make money out of scared parents. In truth, the majority of kids that stay in the private sector, have a harder time adjusting to the real world when they leave at 17.
    If as a family, you have to beg, steal or borrow, I think family money is better spent/saved elsewhere for the good of you all in later life.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I’ve never thought of that but I’ve always fancied the idea of an old VW camper van. Trouble is, most ClientCos in NL won’t let you use their carpark so I’d need public transport from campsite to ClientCo, and that’s often difficult out of town. Shall research further.
    I was puzzled at the start of one contract about what seemed to me to be OTT clothing regulations and not having a camper or caravan on clientco's car park.

It turned out that some contractor had turned up dressed as a hippy and expected to live in his camper van on the car park. Hence the rules.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    my trick. Stay in a hotel for the first week, during lunch times visit the local supermarkets and check the small ads. These are usually bit of card pinned to a board. I can usually get a room for less than £100 a week down Sarf.

Chef is right, you need to build yourself a 'kit' for working away.
    mines consists of
    holdall
    toiletries
    corkscrew
    small bladed scissors
    spoon
    few small plastic bags
    pens
    book

A similar kit here, but at one foreign location the TV cable and bath/sink plugs always seemed to have gone walkies, so they were a useful addition, as was a neon screwdriver to fix the wiring at one particular hotel

A definite yes to the small scissors. Back in the days when you could, I'd carry a pair in my pocket to get into my bags after the airline had made this seemingly simple operation nigh on impossible by slapping labels all over them.

In the UK / Europe, a decent brand of instant coffee and plenty of tea bags. Fresh milk sourced locally. If there's no fridge in the room, the outside windowsill is OK in winter.

Also aspirin / ibuprofen / what works for you.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    IMO, if you have to do what you're doing to afford your lifestyle, you should alter things so your life doesn't cost so much.
    That's the tough one! We've pared expenses down to the bone, however struggling to do this with the grocery bill considering we have 3 kids, however our biggest outgoing is the school fees, the state school system is rubbish (most of the time is wasted in trying to get the kids to settle down to concentrate) and even the good one is full up though we are in the catchment area.

IMHO - the best things you can give your kids are lots of love and a the best education possible and me and OH have agreed to sacrifice everything else including suffering whilst I am working away (luckily only 33% of the time on this gig) until better times come back again and then hopefully I can improve my rate nearer home and OH can start working once kids are all in school.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X